none
IE 9 or 11 - PDF opens in Adobe Reader client, but also opens a blank IE page RRS feed

• Question

• Issue: Each time we click on a hyperlink to a open PDF in Internet Explorer (either 9 or 11), it opens the PDF normally in the Adobe Acrobat client (my default application to open PDFs), but it also opens a second blank IE page that I can't seem to make go away.

Disclaimer: to me, I believe this is limited to an internal website from our vendor since because it only started happening since their latest upgrade, and it does not happen for other websites. I believe it is the way their website is scripted, but they state otherwise, and that there must be Adobe or Internet Explorer settings that are causing this. So, I am checking to make sure I did not overlook anything. Any suggestions are appreciated! 

In Adobe Reader & Acrobat, these settings are in place: 

• Edit > General > Preferences> PDF Handler: Adobe Reader (although it doesn't matter which is selected; it still opens second blank page)
    • Edit > Preferences > Internet > all checkboxes are unchecked (this was normally all that was needed before; however, it still opens second blank page)

In IE, these settings are in place: 

• Internet Options > Security > Internet, Intranet, & Trusted Sites: tested all 3 zones with LOW & File Download is "ENABLE" (still opens second blank page)
    • Tools > Manage Add-Ons > (4) Adobe add-ons all set to DISABLED (opens PDF in Adobe, but it still opens second blank page)
    • NOTE: if the 'Adobe Reader PDF' add-on is ENABLED, it opens the PDF in the IE page, which is normally the blank one, but then it no longer opens up in Adobe Acrobat which is the intention...so they can use the Typewriter function on the live file...
    • Tools > Compatibility View (on or off, doesn't make a difference; still opens the second blank page)

System configuration: Windows 7 x64, happens in IE 9 or IE 11 (11.0.9600.18638). Adobe Reader XI (11.0.20), Adobe Acrobat are both installed.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

we need to see the markup and scripting of the web page... which is not the scope for questions of this forum.

The user workflow preference is to open directly from IE into Acrobat, edit with the Typewriter, and then save directly into the same repository, without having to save elsewhere to edit and re-writing over the original file, but a good thought.

It sounds like you are using Adobes' Cloud services that they have bundled with their PDF reader... Although I have not tested it.... that would explain a phantom blank page when you open it from a web link from an intranet site... IE has a security zone setting 'Prevent navigation into a zone of lower integrity'.... you realize that web requests include a referrer and other information about your company network... You should store your documents on your servers when they are linked to an intranet LOB domain. MS SharePoint is the product for collaborative document management. Office 365 is the equivalent of Adobes' Cloud document management.

see products.office.com

If indeed that is the case you will have to use the Adobe Reader exclusively as your document browser and remove the links from your intranet site....from memory the latest Adobe Reader version provides a UI to browse your cloud storage...You may find guidance from the Adobe support forums on how to share those documents within your company.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, June 9, 2017 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi DevSysAdmin,

We could perform a clean boot to avoid the effects of third party software.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Meanwhile I suggest that we could try to reset IE settings.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/923737/how-to-reset-internet-explorer-settings

Also we could try to reverse Adobe Reader version to check.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 26, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi Carl, 

Thank you for your response. 

I've tried (at least) the following (closing & reopening browser when required), but with the same, consistent results, unfortunately. 

1. Rebooting in Safe Mode.
    2. IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Advanced \ Reset
    3. IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Security \ Reset all zones to default level
    4. IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Security (changed all to the lowest setting)
    5. IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Security \ [unchecked] enable protected mode
    6. IE \ Tools \ Internet Options \ Advanced \ [checked] Enable third-party browser extensions
    7. IE \ Tools \ Compatibility View (with or without any or all of the options checked)

When I try the same settings with other websites, it opens the PDF normally in Adobe Acrobat (not the browser), as expected, when the "Adobe PDF Reader" add-on is [DISABLED] as Adobe suggests: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-in-browser.html 

I can't find anything to substantiate that either Adobe or Internet Explorer settings are mis-configured. It seems limited to this particular website, but I just want to be sure I'm not overlooking something. 

Thank you for your assistance!

Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

does this occur on all websites that contain embedded pdf links or just one particular website?. Would that 'particular' website be one that you are the developer for?

If possible please include links to any websites that you are having problems with your questions. If you are developing on local host or an intranet domain, mention this in your questions.... confirm that IE is using the expected security zone (File>Properties menu). and that the dev tool's emulation tab, has the expected emulation mode... eg. Enterprise Site Mode List.... IE=Edge.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

for questions about web site development using MSIE dev tools and browsers post to a msdn forum or to stackoverflow.

Rob^_^

Thursday, June 1, 2017 11:21 PM
  • Hi Rob, 

Thank you for your reply. I am not the developer for this website, but it is an internal website for our vendor's application. It is a problem limited only to this website, so I suspect it is an issue with how those links are scripted to open. In other websites, I can click the link, and it opens straight away in Adobe (since I've unchecked, in Adobe, the settings to "open PDF in browser", and I have also disabled the "Adobe PDF Reader" add-on in Internet Explorer). The issue is definitely limited to just this website. Unfortunately, the developer for this website defers the issue to an Adobe or Internet Explorer setting. However, I've not been able to find any settings so far that have alleviated this issue. 

Just trying to do my "due diligence" :) to exhaust any possible options, to determine whether there is anything that can actually be done on the client side, or if it must be corrected in scripting on the server side. 

Many thanks for your for your input! 

Friday, June 2, 2017 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

understandable..... yes it is likely the coding of links used on that web site or possibly IE security zone settings and domain mapping.

First it appears that you are using an old version of Adobe Acrobat? From IE select the Tools>Manage Addons menu, select Show>All Addons..... locate the Adobe Inc. software section.... Do you have the "Adobe PDF Link Helper" BHO in the list....? If so, You need to upgrade your Adobe version (and remove the old version).

Second, navigate to the site, and select the File>Properties menu from IE.... which IE security zone do you map it to? (expected: intranet or trusted sites). If the pdf documents are stored/distributed from another domain (say google drive) which maps to the internet zone, then IE security settings prevent navigation to the resource in the same window.... you should not link to external resources from within a trusted or intranet maped domain.... IE has a default security zone setting for "Prevent navigation into a zone of lower integrity".... the software vendor should host those resource on their servers (same domain policy).

Third - the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is to test in noAddons mode (Adobe REader is an ActiveX control, not an addon). Start>run>iexplore.exe -extoff... Browser Helper and toolbar addons may have popup blocking features which affect outcomes of scripted windows (popups)...

Fourth, web page markup and scripting.... apple and android web developers love to host pdf documents in embeds or iframes(webkit has native PDF support)... for windows clickable hyperlinks are preferable. Users can right click on the link and select download as to save their pdf to their hard disk instead of downloading the pdf to the tiff.

If you want to post a code snippet of the PDF open links, we could have a look, but the best place to post coding questions is in a MSDN forum or at stackoverflow... expected <a href="#" onclick="pdfwrapperfunction(pathtopdf);return false;" target="_blank">open pdf document</a>

To debug web pages for Blocked content (ActiveX filtering or Tracking protection.... intranet and trusted sites mapped domains are unaffected), first go Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages". Save changes. (while your there also make sure that "do not save encrypted files to disk" is unchecked.)

Now when you open the dev tool (f11), the console tab will list security and blocked content warnings and messages. When you click on a pdf link you will see the warnings/messages that the file has been blocked.... perhaps that is why a black page is also loaded.... IE aborts the file download, but adobe downloads and displays it (the Adobe PDF link helper did this, but it has been removed from the last 3 versions).

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, June 2, 2017 9:20 PM
  • Hi Rob, 

In response: 

• First- it appears that you are using an old version of Adobe Acrobat…Do you have the "Adobe PDF Link Helper" BHO in the list....?
      • This add-on does not exist in IE. However, this behavior happens whether Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat is set as the default PDF viewer. 
    • Second- which IE security zone do you map it to?
      • It maps to the Intranet zone.
    • Third- iexplore.exe –extoff
      • Neat command; never knew it! Unfortunately, same issue persists. 
    • Fourth- users can right click on the link and select download as to save their pdf to their hard disk instead of downloading the pdf to the tiff.
      • The user workflow preference is to open directly from IE into Acrobat, edit with the Typewriter, and then save directly into the same repository, without having to save elsewhere to edit and re-writing over the original file, but a good thought.

I’ll think about whether I’d like to post something to the MSDN forum, because I’m sure it would all just make my head spin round and round J but at least it would give me something credible to take back to the vendor’s developers.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and input.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

we need to see the markup and scripting of the web page... which is not the scope for questions of this forum.

The user workflow preference is to open directly from IE into Acrobat, edit with the Typewriter, and then save directly into the same repository, without having to save elsewhere to edit and re-writing over the original file, but a good thought.

It sounds like you are using Adobes' Cloud services that they have bundled with their PDF reader... Although I have not tested it.... that would explain a phantom blank page when you open it from a web link from an intranet site... IE has a security zone setting 'Prevent navigation into a zone of lower integrity'.... you realize that web requests include a referrer and other information about your company network... You should store your documents on your servers when they are linked to an intranet LOB domain. MS SharePoint is the product for collaborative document management. Office 365 is the equivalent of Adobes' Cloud document management.

see products.office.com

If indeed that is the case you will have to use the Adobe Reader exclusively as your document browser and remove the links from your intranet site....from memory the latest Adobe Reader version provides a UI to browse your cloud storage...You may find guidance from the Adobe support forums on how to share those documents within your company.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, June 9, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Hi Rob, 

Thank you for your response. I will mark this as the answer, since I realize that it has gotten out of scope of the IE forum, and I do not suspect any other IE related changes that could take place to remedy the issue. I do still suspect this is a scripting issue on the server side, which I will need to work through my vendor to resolve. However, I have also posted a thread on the Adobe Acrobat forums to see if anyone in the Adobe Community can provide any other client side changes that might cure this issue. 

I sincerely appreciate your assistance, time, and feedback with all of your responses. 

Many thanks! 

Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:41 PM