Skype for Business Logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a questions regarding message logs with Skype for Business. Assuming there is no Exchange integration, and we are using a Single Standard Edition Front End Server, where are the message logs stored? All the current documentation I have read suggests that if you don't have Exchange integration the messages simply disappear into the ether after a chat session ends. This can't be true, the messages must be stored somewhere, and if so, where? And how often are they purged?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi

So if the user signs in with the same SIP address as the Email address they use in Outlook and the mailbox is exchange based, then without any integration at the server level, messages will be stored in the conversation history folder using a direct MAPI connection from Lync client to Outlook.

If this is not done, then you have a choice to archive IMs to SQL database but you need to deploy this in addition to the normal Std Edtn server. The retention you set but the default is 60 or 90 days if memory serves.

If you have neither, then the conversation is not saved anywhere, they are lost forever

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Marked as answer by atekkof Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi

So if the user signs in with the same SIP address as the Email address they use in Outlook and the mailbox is exchange based, then without any integration at the server level, messages will be stored in the conversation history folder using a direct MAPI connection from Lync client to Outlook.

If this is not done, then you have a choice to archive IMs to SQL database but you need to deploy this in addition to the normal Std Edtn server. The retention you set but the default is 60 or 90 days if memory serves.

If you have neither, then the conversation is not saved anywhere, they are lost forever

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Marked as answer by atekkof Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hey, thanks a lot for the information. Another quick question: Can I archive the IM's to the SQL Express database that is installed with SFB standard edition server? And is this a manual or automatic process?

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:28 PM
  • You could theorectically use SQL express yes but bear in mind that there is a storage limit of 10GB, you can only use 1 core of CPU and the instance is limited to 1GB of RAM

Which means in total that strictly it is not supported.

The process of installing SQL archiving is manual, you add the SQL instance and server to your topology then associate it with the front end server. on publishing the databases are installed. Then in SfB control panel you enable archiving for everyone and set your retention limits.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:49 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:16 PM
  • Excellent, thank you very much.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:30 PM