Search RRS feed

• Question

• Beyond folder options, is there another place to alter how search functions?

There is a file called downloads.sqlite that keeps track of downloads for Firefox.  It is in the users\%username%\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\%junk%.default folder.  Windows search cannot find it.

However, if I start the search from within the application data folder windows search finds the file.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 7:46 PM

All replies

• Oh, I just love people logging problems with Windows Search - each one is hopefully another step towards Microsoft admitting it does not work and getting them to fix it!

I have tried this, and get exactly the same result. My AppData is redirected to my home folder, "H:\Application Data". If I open an explorer window on H:\ and search for downloads.sqlite, nothing is found after a lengthy search. If I just pop down into "Application Data" and re-run the search, it's found.

How strange...

There is another place that affects searching, the Indexing options. I have seen file types not found at all, even in unindexed locations, if they are not added to the indexer file type options. .VBS was an example of such files.

I added ".sqlite" and still the file is not found from H:\...

I  know this doesn't help you, but hopefully someone from the relevant MS dev team will notice...

• Edited by Rob.Ford Monday, December 7, 2009 11:33 PM typo
    Monday, December 7, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Yah, is this really bad.  I mean really, really bad.  It also strikes me as dangerous.  I wonder if spyware files will be immune to Win7 search as well. . .

I'm not seeing many Win7 boxes out in the field yet, and I'm glad of that.  Users have a hard time keeping track of their files as it is.  If the IT guy can't find your stuff for you, who will? 

Seriously, do I have to map my Win7 drives to my XP box so I can search when I need to locate a file like I mentioned above? LOL

Hmmm.  I think I'll try that and let you know.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:30 PM
  • Hey, I tried this from the top level:

downloads.sqlite ext:sqlite

and that worked...

• Proposed as answer by Rob.Ford Friday, December 11, 2009 1:37 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:19 PM