none
machine serial number become all zero after hit the command of "wmic bios get serialnumber" RRS feed

• Question

• I found a machine with Windows 7 Professional, the serial number become all zero after hit the command of "wmic bios get serialnumber". Why this happen? How to recover it?

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi M.S.LEONG,

What Serial Number do you see on BIOS screen?
    Do you see all zero of Serial Number on BIOS screen?

Regards,
    Ashidacchi
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:36 AM
  • Hi M.S. LEONG,

We could get into BISO to check if the serial number could be found. Usually we could use the command to get the serial number, however the hardware you have has no serial number or be removed. People either did not set one at manufacture, or they forgot about it.

There is a field for the serial number (and other fields for much more information) in many generic BIOS and methods to read these fields. The person manufacturing the BIOS should fill this with the correct information. Unless that is done the fields often read their default values.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hi M.S.LEONG

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Hi M.S.LEONG,

Any update?

Best regards,

Carl

Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:16 AM