none
Task Status in Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me an overview of the Task Status options in Project Server 2013? I am a current 2010 user but we have not been able to use this feature in the past. Specifically, I am wondering:

1. Can I assign an entire task to a user? In 2010 I had to assign resources to a task and then update each assignment. I want to be able to assign the entire task and have the user tell me the Physical % Complete, Actual Start, and Actual Finish at the task level. 

2. Is there any kind of built in what-if analysis feature? Can a program manager review the impact of the submitted status before accepting?

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica Hancock

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Jessica,

Basically, task statusing and timesheeting has not changed between 2010 and 2013 versions. The first would be about the need (or not) to activate the Single Entry Mode, meaning a single interface for task statusing and timesheet. This DO matters since in case you activate it, the task tracking method will be forced to "hours of work done per period". See in this blog the others methods.

1- From the PM's point of view, you can in MS Project Pro or PWA assign one or more resources to a single tasks, creating then the corresponding number of assignments. From there, each single user assigned on this task will have to enter his own tracking on his assignment. As you'll see in the blog, the % physical cannot be entered by the team member, only the % complete if the 1st method is chosen.

2- About this what-if analysis, the PM can click in the approval center on the "preview updates" before accepting or rejecting. He will be able to vizualise what will his project plan look like in case he approves the task updates versus what does his plan actually look likes. See reference here.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply!

Regarding point #1, we are trying to come up with a way for Control Account Managers/Engineers to status their tasks in the schedule without having complete access to the entire schedule. Sometimes resources aren't even assigned in the schedule. Do you know of any way to do this in Project Server?

Jessica

Jessica Hancock

Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Jessica,

If you want your users directly modifying the schedule, there is no way to permit somebody to just edit a part of the schedule. Either they can edit the schedule or they cannot.

A better way to do this is to use the "Assignments", per Guillaume above. You could

a) Assign the tasks to the Control Account Managers/Engineers without worrying about the actual resources

or

b) Define a semi-generic resource, set the Default Assignment Owner to be the person (Control Account Managers/Engineers ) who needs to update, and then have those resources assigned in the schedule. This way, no named resources in the schedule, but the task will still go to the Updater.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:08 PM
  • Prasanna,

Let's say I went with one of these options. When the CAM goes to their list of Tasks and is promoted to enter status, are they entering status of the entire task or status of their assignment to the task? I would like the CAM to be able to say the task is 50% complete, not their assignment on the task is 50% complete.

Jessica

Jessica Hancock

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:19 PM
  • I see what you mean. What if you assign just one resource per task(as opposed to multiple resources per task). Then whatever the resource updates will be the progress on that Task itself!

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:19 PM