none
Laptop file recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I appoligize if this question has already been asked and answered but my search did not turn it up so,

Specifics- DPM 2010 and newer, backing up laptops.

When I perform a recovery of user data from one of the laptops and pick todays date, will that recovery ALSO include any data from prior dates?

If not is there an easier way to recover this other data besides going to each day and recovering each days seperately? 

The reason for this is when we have a user that leaves or gets fired we take all of their data (to include email) and archive it for a period of time in the event legal requires it or there is an audit and its needed.  Granted i could just setup tape and archive to that but it would not include the users email unless we took and saved it under their profile. 

thanks in advance

Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

All recovery points made by DPM are a view of the data as it looked at the time of the backup (think of a tape backup, we can only backup files that exist, so restoring from that tape will only contain current files). Disk based backups are no different. So it a user deleted files prior to the backup, the dpm recovery point would not contain those files.  You would need to restore previous (older) recovery points and choose the option to skip duplicate files so in escence you will just be restoring files that were deleted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 4:27 PM