how to change Preserve Favorites websites data in IE 8 from a command prompt RRS feed

• Question

• I need to automate the unchecking of this option is IE 8 so I can push the change out to hundreds of PC but I can only find insturctions on how to do this from inside IE 8 and I need to do it ouitside of IE8

Thanks

Ben

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The IE favorites data is stored in %userprofile%/Favorites by default. So if you want to modify the data. Please just use command to modify the files in that path.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, September 5, 2011 10:02 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The IE favorites data is stored in %userprofile%/Favorites by default. So if you want to modify the data. Please just use command to modify the files in that path.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, September 5, 2011 10:02 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:21 AM
  • First of this site needs better programmers.... I wanted to vote this as not an answer but it only voted it as helpful and gave no options.

Secondly, this tells us where the data is. not how to modify the setting in question.

Here is a scenerio:

I want to setup default settings to have the preserve website favorites data unchecked so that IE will clear the entire cache upon the user closing the browser. I can have it applied to all new machines via an updated image but I need to roll out an enterprise wide solution to modify the existing user profiles. As I will not be logging into 1000 machines and accounts to remove this check box, how can i remove it otherwise? If you could give the regkey location of the setting or a command line that will do this, I know how to do the rest of the role-out.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:51 PM
  • I can only find insturctions on how to do this from inside IE 8 and I need to do it ouitside of IE8

So, do it from inside with ProcMon running, filtering on RegSetValue.  Then create an ADM file accordingly.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:14 PM
    Answerer
  • [HERE IT IS - I  JUST tested it, and this method WORKS and can be scripted!]
    PLEASE MARK AS ANSWER if you don't mind!

Since you didn't say the Operating System, but you did say, IE 8. I'm guessing you have Windows 7 (and maybe some legacy Windows XP) systems. This method should work on both, but you may want 4 .reg files 2 for XP 2 for Win 7.

Go to a reference PC, set it EXACTLY how you want, then export these 2 keys:

HKCU\software\microsoft\internet explorer\

Under that above key, specifically, the "Privacy Key" has:

"ClearBrowsingHistoryOnExit,"

But that is only the "main" checkbox for "Delete Browsing History on Exit."

It does not "fine-tune" your setting for Unchecking "Preserve Browsing History on Exit" (i.e., If you are able
    to UNCHECK that box, then you DON'T WANT TO PRESERVE the browsing history; i.e. you want to "clear it.")
    Also, under that main "internet explorer" key is "TypedURLs," which is, basically, 'web history.'

But, since there is lack of clear information, and this additional "Preserve" setting needs to be unchecked,
    here is what I did for the 4,000 worksations at previous job (Tractor Supply): I went to one "reference PC" and made the
    settings exactly as I needed them - then, export the pertinent sections of registry from that reference pc;
    then import them on at TEST PC to be sure it worked as needed;
    THEN, write a script to merge them (i.e. regedit /s .... and so forth)
    THEN, either use psexec against the remote machine or otherwise write some proper remote "REG ADD" commands;

[sample code block of the 'import script']

rem - sample batch script to import the saved (reference pc) settings
    regedit /s c:\scripts\ie-hklm-settings.reg
    regedit /s c:\scripts\ie-hkcu-settings.reg

Anyway, those are the two major relevant keys would be:

HKCU\software\microsoft\internet explorer\
    (and/or that key for EVERY SID ON EACH MACHINE - depending - or you can set users to run the script automatically - NOTE, you might have to make them TEMPORARY ADMIN for the HKLM portion, or do "regedit /s" [as an admin] for that portion)

and

HKLM\software\microsoft\internet explorer\

So, get the reference PC set the way you want, then export those 2 Keys then Import/merge those keys to a machine that is NOT set the way you want. Reboot that TEST machine, then check that the "Delete Browsing History on Exit" is checked and
    that the "Preserve..." box is UNCHECKED. If so, then you have your winning ".reg" files that can be used
    to push to / merge to - all your computers (may need slight tweaking) AND, if you make a "RunOnce" key, you could set
    it so the PCs run that "reg import / reg merge" the first time someone logs in (must be admin for HKLM portion).

CAUTION AGAIN THAT 'TEMP ADMIN' ACCESS MAY BE NEEDED!

NOTE: During my Tractor Supply "scripting adventures," I did find that some keys are BINARY and/or are derived from
    a combination of binary and/or flag-based settings - i.e., certain combinations in those keys render certain
    checkboxes "checked" or "unckecked." Those binary/flag values are not always easily tweaked; thus, the method
    I recommend is what I suggest - export relevant keys from a "known good reference" system - just be careful
    "which" keys, in case all your PCs are not standardized. REBOOT THE PC (for HKLM key changes) and check it!

At my current job, I just did this 10 minutes ago, and IT WORKED! Woo hoo!

PLEASE MARK AS ANSWER, if you don't mind!

Thanks!

tnjman

• Proposed as answer by titanyoda Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:55 PM
    • Edited by TNJMAN Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:16 PM code included
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:44 PM
  • I agree - the above posting by Juke Chou is NOT the answer.

• Edited by titanyoda Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:37 PM fix
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:36 PM
  • This is a possible method, but I also tried Procmon and did not get any useful specific key modification that I could easily trace, so I went ahead with doing a "reference PC" as I had mentioned below. I tested my method and it worked. Could not get the 'procmon method' to give enough granular detail to determine the needed changes. Tried various filters, to no avail. I'm like you - I try procom as one of my main methods, when I cannot find detailed info anywhere else on what registry changes to make.

tnjman

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Attn. Moderator.  Remove this reply above as an "Answer", because, it is not even nearly correct or helpful at all.  Please remove my accidental vote as well please.

Friday, June 10, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Could not get the 'procmon method' to give enough granular detail to determine the needed changes.

What do you see using ProcMon with the filter that I suggested?  In fact note that you can probably filter more by adding  Path Contains Favorites  and if necessary you could just get an inventory of possible registry values by using the Count Occurrences tool to help with doing subsequent Finds or creating Highlighting filters.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 10, 2016 2:16 PM
    Answerer