MS Project Server 2010 - Saving a Masterproject results in crash of MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have the following problem. We have a masterproject with about 250 subproject with on average 30 tasks. Saving the masterproject takes about 7 minutes if there are only 17 subprojects opened in the Masterproject So this is a performance issue. The local Task Manager shows that my workstation is not so busy, also the SQL Server is not so busy. If more subprojects are opened than it takes even longer and sometimes MS project crashes. Even if a Masterproject is saved correctly, closing the project does not always check-in the Masterproject en subprojects. The only way to check these is in when using Force check-in. Also when MS Project states that the save completed succesfully sometimes some data is missing, like Duration of every subproject is set to 0.

The local cache size is set to 4Gb. That should be enough because to total cache size on disk when the Masterproject is opened is about 64 Mb, We are using MS project 32 bit. I wonder if the 64 bit version of MS Project would solve things.

We already tried cleaning up the local cache using MS Project and deleting the cache-files in Windows Explorer.  

Greetings,

Marcel Visscher

QS solutions

Marcel Visscher QS solutions
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Marcel,

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Firstly, 250 subprojects under a master project is a lot of projects. From memory in PS2007, 16 was the magic number before severe performance degredation would be experienced by the end user. I haven't been able to find the equivalent PS2010 document stating any performance limit, but I doubt it has increased that much. Is there a specific reason for having such a large number of subprojects?

You may find that increasing to a 64 bit client may assist, but if the issues are at the server level, this won't make a lot of difference.

Finally, you mention in the title that it causes a crash, what error does it show? Is there anyting in the event logs?

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for working with me on this problem. I just created a backup of the production databases and created a new PWA instance on the testserver. The same problem exists over there. These are the steps that I took:

1. Start MS Project 2010 32 bit

2. Open The Master Project. This took about 2 minutes.

3. Expand the entire plan to Outline level 2: every subproject is opened. This took about 3 minutes

4. No modifications are made. Save the masterproject, save all subprojects. The statusbar in MS Project is continually updating with "Saving ... <name of subproject>

5. This took about 7 minutes, in the project server queue all save actions of the subprojects are succesfull.

6. MS Project crashes after the last subprojectname is shown in the MS Project Status bar. The error is "MS Project has stopped working" and gives the option to restart.

The application log shows:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          22-3-2011 12:06:18
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      TPSTS6.tempress.inc
    Description:
    Faulting application name: WINPROJ.EXE, version: 14.0.4751.1000, time stamp: 0x4b8e2648
    Faulting module name: ATLCONV.DLL, version: 14.0.4751.1000, time stamp: 0x4b8e25e7
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000c4c2
    Faulting process id: 0x5f38
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cbe87f6a43a65e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINPROJ.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\ATLCONV.DLL
    Report Id: 68c8c2c0-5474-11e0-86f2-005056a802fe
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-22T11:06:18.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>156402</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>TPSTS6.tempress.inc</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>WINPROJ.EXE</Data>
        <Data>14.0.4751.1000</Data>
        <Data>4b8e2648</Data>
        <Data>ATLCONV.DLL</Data>
        <Data>14.0.4751.1000</Data>
        <Data>4b8e25e7</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>0000c4c2</Data>
        <Data>5f38</Data>
        <Data>01cbe87f6a43a65e</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINPROJ.EXE</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\ATLCONV.DLL</Data>
        <Data>68c8c2c0-5474-11e0-86f2-005056a802fe</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

7. After 4 minutes the Project Server queue is only showing one active job (all save jobs of the subprojects are processed succesfully). The only remaining job is Job TYpe "Project Save from Project Professional" for the Master project, with status "Getting Queued".

8. This job remains in the queue. The only option is to Cancel the job.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Hello Alexandre.

I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2496946. Maybe there is chance this hotfix will solve the problem, because a new version ATLCONV.DLL is included in this hotfix. I will test this.....

Marcel

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Hello Alexandre,

Unfortenately this hotfix didn't help. This time MS Project doesn't even give an error but just closes. No error in application event log.

1. Start MS Project 2010 32 bit

2. Open The Master Project. This took about 2 minutes.

3. Expand the entire plan to Outline level 2: every subproject is opened. This took about 3 minutes

4. No modifications are made. Save the masterproject, save all subprojects. The statusbar in MS Project is continually updating with "Saving ... <name of subproject>

5. This took about 7 minutes, in the project server queue all save actions of the subprojects are succesfull.

6. MS Project crashes after the last subprojectname is shown in the MS Project Status bar.

7. After 4 minutes the Project Server queue is only showing one active job (all save jobs of the subprojects are processed succesfully). The only remaining job is Job TYpe "Project Save from Project Professional" for the Master project, with status "Getting Queued".

8. This job remains in the queue. The only option is to Cancel the job.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Hello Alexandre,

Do you have any new suggestions? This problem is still very important.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:33 AM
  • I have had to do some performance troubleshooting the last couple of days.  I am not sure about why the crashes are happening (perhaps try and trace the crash in the ULS logs - using ULS Viewer from Codeplex is very nice for doing this), but if you think you might have performance issues chances are its in the SQL layer, and chances are that its the disk configuration of your SQL server.

You should have 3 seperate volumes (note, seperate sets of spindles, not partitions on the same set of spindles) for your Transaction Log files, your DB data files and your TempDB.  TempDB especially is very busy, I have found that putting tempdb on its own volume gave me 50% less time spent processing for jobs such as saving and Reporting - Publish Project.

However, I do not think this is your main problem - I just am not sure whether you are possibly running into a system boundary here.  this is a rather extreme case, perhaps the best would be to take this up with MS Support just to make sure you aren't trying something which has not been tested?

http://blogs.umtsa.co.za/nicoo
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

Apologies for not responding, I missed your reply.

My only other suggestion would be try patching to the latest CU / updates, and if that fails to raise a support ticket with MS directly.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having these crashes also, any idea of how to solve it?

any solution found?

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:57 PM
  • I am having the identical problem with a master project containing 15 sub projects. It has been suggested that 'clean up cache' will solve it. I'm not keen to do so before a bit of research.

Any ideas?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:18 AM
  • I did a bit of research and decided it was 'safe' so cleaned up the cache and, so far, the error seems to have gone away.
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:31 AM