USB Mass Storage Device not being recognised on Toshiba Satellite L650 WIndows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friend(s). When inserting any USB mass storage device, the Device Manager shows a Yellow status, with the following report "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Things done to attempt fix;

1/Uninstalled the device and rebooted with the hope that the new drivers will refresh to make connection

2/Checked for any W7 updates

3/ Puchase the Driver Boost software. After scanning no relevant update for driver was offerred.

4/ Tried Windows Repair, CHKDSK & sfc /scannow

Appreciate if the community can help. I have checked out the internet but so far no resolution to connect to USB Mass storage device.

USB port can recognise a mouse OK

Regards Neil

Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:29 AM

Answers

• Many thanks for the advice which had been tried previously.

HOWEVER a resolution was found when the driver USBSTOR.SYS was found to be at Version 6.1.760.17577 dated 11/3/2011. So we

changed to an older version 6.1.7600.16385 dated 14/7/2009 in located path c:windows/system32/drivers. Retarted W7 OS and problems were resolved allowing USB Mass Storage devices to be recognized again.

Needed to get this reply back to you before asserting the ANSWER option to thread.

Regards Neil

• Marked as answer by Neil-VCS Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you update BIOS and chipset driver to the latest versions to check how it works.

Meanwhile, please reload USB controller driver:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If this issue persists, you can also try the following steps:

Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Also, to eliminate the device issue, try to test with another computer to check the result.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Neil-VCS Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Neil-VCS Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:49 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Many thanks for the advice which had been tried previously.

HOWEVER a resolution was found when the driver USBSTOR.SYS was found to be at Version 6.1.760.17577 dated 11/3/2011. So we

changed to an older version 6.1.7600.16385 dated 14/7/2009 in located path c:windows/system32/drivers. Retarted W7 OS and problems were resolved allowing USB Mass Storage devices to be recognized again.

Needed to get this reply back to you before asserting the ANSWER option to thread.

Regards Neil

• Marked as answer by Neil-VCS Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:57 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue and would like to try this. I noticed that when usbstor.sys was last modified (July '12) was when I started having issues. How to I go about changing to an older version? I tried "restore previous versions" but it said there were no previous versions.

-Karla

Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Hello Karla... if I remember correctly it was a case of finding a copy of the file with older version, renaming the current file causing problems, then copying in the older version file...don't forget the reboot of course...good luck...hope I steered you in the right direction...Neil
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:47 AM