none
Project 2007 cost resources RRS feed

• Question

• I am using PS2007 with SP3.

We are experimenting with enterprise cost resources.  I have set up tasks in my project schedule to track hard dollar costs.  The tasks do not include any other type of resource (work or material).  I assigned a cost resource to the task.  In the task usage view I entered a $1000 on 4/1/2012, 5/2/2012, and 6/25/2012. I enter $1000 of remaining cost.  At this point the start date = 4/1 and the finish date = 6/25.  The duration = 3days. Later when I return to the project schedule the total actual cost is accuarate, however in the timephase view from 4/1 - 6/25 each day has an acual cost of $37.97. The duration for the task has changed from 3 days to 79 days. 

I read this article by MS on what not to do when using cost resources. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2008/07/22/infrastructure-update-and-cost-resource-behavior.aspx

I cannot identify where i have violated one of these rules.  I am not using a 24 hour calandar in the project or on any tasks.  I have another project that uses the same method for capturing hard dollar costs, but i am not seeing the same behavior.  I am unable to identify any differences between the two projects.  Does anyone use project this way?  Any ideas on what i could be doing wrong?  The articles I've found on this topic are fairly old, so i am hoping someone has new information.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:35 PM

All replies

• Jenn, is this question still open?

I was interested to see that you were experimenting with cost resources and the blog entry reference in your post was helpful. I didn't quite understand your reference to entering $1000 as the remaining cost - how were you updating the actuals? One way I can get similar results to yours with the change of duration and distributed actual cost is by entering the actual cost in the time phased part of a Usage view when the timescale is zoomed out to a monthly level (for instance).

Graham

Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hi, yes this is still an open question.  I actually have an open ticket with MS support.

It is really hard to describe since it is a strange problem. In my example above, i enter actual costs in the right timephased view for three particular days.  At that point in time, i have $3000 actual cost and $0 remaining.  I then enter $1000 of remaining cost in the remaining cost field for the same assignment.

the project schedule is then saved and closed.  Some odd days later, the project schedule is opened and the total actual costs of $000 is split evenly across each day (fist date an actual amount was entered to the last day an actual amount was entered).  The total actual cost is still correct, but it no longer reflects the day the actual amount was entered.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:47 PM
  • What options do you have selected in the calculation tab on the Tools menu?

• Actual costs are always calc by MSP?
    • Edits to actual cost will be spread to status date?

Friday, November 9, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hmm, that is odd. I'll be interested to hear what Microsoft has to say. It would be interesting to know what task type you're using and whether it changed during the period under investigation. Also wht happened to the % complete when you added in the additional remaining cost.
    Friday, November 9, 2012 3:44 PM