Why Arcrobat Reader asks "Do you want to save this file?" RRS feed

• Question

• We have SharePoint 2010 Server based portal. We have several document libraries available.
    Many documents are in PDF format thus we have installed Adobe PDF iFilter. We have Adobe Reader version 9 available in workstations and servers. Following tests have been done with site collection admin.

We have following problem in some of the document libraries in the subsite.
    1. Open SharePoint site
    2. Select PDF document by mouse click from the document library
    3. IE asks How would you like to open this file? I select Read Only and press OK.
    4. Adobe Reader asks Do you want to save this file? I'm forces to select Save or Cansel.

This is how it should work and document library in main site works fine.
    1. Open SharePoint site
    2. Select PDF document by mouse click from the document library
    3. IE asks How would you like to open this file? I select Read Only and press OK.
    4. PDF document is opened as it should be.

What could be probelem? Why problem occurs only in some sites?

Kenny_I
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for you suggestion.

I already have Browser File Handling option in Permissive mode. Opening PDF document is fine in main site, but it asks "Do you want to save this file?" in some subsites. Why?

Kenny_I
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hi Kenny_I

I had the same problem in one of my sitecollections, too. In my case there were some migrated 2007 sites where some lists didn't change the browserfilehandling to "permissive". I used the following script to change the settings for the list:

If((Get-PSSnapin | ? {$_.Name -eq "Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell"}) -eq $null)
    {
     Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell
    }

$Web=Get-SPWeb http://yourweb

Foreach($List in $Web.Lists)
    {
        If($List.BrowserFileHandling -eq "Strict" -and $list.hidden -eq $False)
        {
            $List.Title
            $List.BrowserFileHandling="Permissive"
            $List.Update()
        }
    }
    $Web.Update()

As an alternative there seems to be a way to add pdf as an allowedinlinedownloadedmimetype as described in this article

http://www.pdfsharepoint.com/sharepoint-2010-and-pdf-integration-series-part-1/

Friday, April 8, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Thanks for your help.

Our environment is not migrated from SharePoint 2007. I just have subsited that has been created based on site template that I made.

Does your script fix whole application or is it possible to test on one list at time?

Kenny_I
    Friday, April 8, 2011 10:30 AM
  • The Script will fix all lists an the given subsite. To fix a specific list try this one:

If((Get-PSSnapin | ? {$_.Name -eq "Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell"}) -eq $null)
    {
     Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell
    }

$Web=Get-SPWeb http://yourweburl
    $List=$Web.Lists["Your List Title"]
    $List.BrowserFileHandling="Permissive"
    $List.Update()

If you only want to check the settings just replace $List.Browserfilehandling="Permissive"
     with $List.Browserfilehandling as it will only display the property and not change it.

You only have to use the first block if you are using the powershell ISE btw. and not if you are using SharePoint 2010 Management shell.

Friday, April 8, 2011 10:54 AM
  • Hi!

I used the PowerShell script presented at the end of this article:

http://blog.octavie.nl/index.php/2011/04/04/pdf-files-can-not-be-opened-directly-only-saved/

It adds pdf as an allowedinlinedownloadedmimetype and thus allows you to keep the browser file handling as "strict". This works for the topsite and the subsites.

• Marked as answer by Kenny_I Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:44 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 1:58 PM
  • That 's exactly the same setting I linked to in my first post.

But technically it does not work on topsites and subsites since it is implemented on the webapplication level and thus affects all SPWeb objects in the application.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:08 AM