Site collection size limit exceeded. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

There are 3 site collections in one content database. Currently one site collection size is 124 GB (approx). But Microsoft strongly recommending ,that the backup and restore is only supported for a maximum site collection size of 100 GB.

But currently web application is working fine. There are no issues with accessing content from DB.

I don't know what kind of action should be taken now. Please can anyone assist on this problem ?

RameshNK

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:34 PM

Answers

• their two points in the MSFT official statement "A site collection should not exceed 100 GB unless it is the only site collection in the database."

sharepoint backup & restore utility normally timed out with 100 GB size, so in this case you have to depend upon the SQL Backup of content db or 3rd party tool.

In SQL backup, you just need to restore the database from backup and then detach the existing db and attach the new one.

According to your scenario, you have 3 site collection in the same content DB. Highly recommend to move sites into own content DB i.e one site collection in One Content DB.

• Create new content DB for the web application using PowerShell or Central Admin
    • Move the site collection into new content db( using the move-spsite). I would recomend move the site which are small.
    • Run the full SQL backup of newly created Content DB after move.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:50 PM

All replies

• The 100GB limit is a recomendation, beyond that point it'll probably all still work fine, however the DR and high availability settings and recovery times will become more difficult.

The out of the box Site Collection backup tools for example are problematic over 100GB, but you can use third party tools or SQL backup tools in most cases to manage these large site collections.

If you can you should look at reducing the content in that site collection, either by moving subsites into another site collection, by removing large files into another area or some other process. This has to be decided by your business and situation.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:57 PM
  • their two points in the MSFT official statement "A site collection should not exceed 100 GB unless it is the only site collection in the database."

sharepoint backup & restore utility normally timed out with 100 GB size, so in this case you have to depend upon the SQL Backup of content db or 3rd party tool.

In SQL backup, you just need to restore the database from backup and then detach the existing db and attach the new one.

According to your scenario, you have 3 site collection in the same content DB. Highly recommend to move sites into own content DB i.e one site collection in One Content DB.

• Create new content DB for the web application using PowerShell or Central Admin
    • Move the site collection into new content db( using the move-spsite). I would recomend move the site which are small.
    • Run the full SQL backup of newly created Content DB after move.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for reply Waqas. First I will check with the customer. As per customer acceptance ,I will implement this in production server. Thank you very much for your effort to post this solution.

RameshNK

Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:51 AM