Changing Jumplist behavior for Windows Explorer/Windows Media Player RRS feed

• Question

• The Windows Explorer Jumplist for me on one PC shows "Frequent" items and in the other PC, it shows "Recent" items. I want to change Explorer Jumplist to show "Recent" items since that makes more sense to me and also do the same for Windows Media Player.

Where to change this from?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Jump List is a new feature in Microsoft Windows 7 that is designed to make it easier to find what you want and perform common operations associated with an application. It appears on the Start menu as well as on the Taskbar when you right-click on an icon. The system provided two different categories: Recent and Frequent. This displayed category depends on the design of the program. Which of the two is best for your application depends on its nature.

For more information about the difference between the two categories, please refer to the link below:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/sasha/archive/2009/02/20/windows-7-taskbar-jump-lists.aspx ;

Based on my test and research, we can use the following steps to change the category for Windows Media Player.

For Windows Media Player:

=========================

1. Launch Windows Media Player.

2. Press "Ctrl+M" to show the menu bar.

3. Click the Tools menu and click Options.

4. In Player tab, Select the "Save recently used to the Jumplist instead of the frequently used" option and click OK.

Regarding the Jumplist for Windows Explorer, I'm sorry that there was no detail option to change the category. However, we still have some workaround. For your reference, I have enclosed them below:

For Windows Explorer:

Note: To do this, the recent Jumplist records will be cleared. Also, the "Recent" category may not stay long for Windows Explorer since it depends on your usage behavior over time.

1. Click Start menu and open Control Panel.

2. Double click the "Taskbar and Start Menu" icon.

3. Switch to Start Menu and clear the "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" option, and then click OK.

4. Open "Taskbar and Start Menu" again and select the "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" option back.

5. Click OK and exit.

If you would like to change the category permanently, please refer to the following links:

Developing for the Windows 7 Taskbar

Windows 7 Managed Code APIs

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:19 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Jump List is a new feature in Microsoft Windows 7 that is designed to make it easier to find what you want and perform common operations associated with an application. It appears on the Start menu as well as on the Taskbar when you right-click on an icon. The system provided two different categories: Recent and Frequent. This displayed category depends on the design of the program. Which of the two is best for your application depends on its nature.

For more information about the difference between the two categories, please refer to the link below:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/sasha/archive/2009/02/20/windows-7-taskbar-jump-lists.aspx ;

Based on my test and research, we can use the following steps to change the category for Windows Media Player.

For Windows Media Player:

1. Launch Windows Media Player.

2. Press "Ctrl+M" to show the menu bar.

3. Click the Tools menu and click Options.

4. In Player tab, Select the "Save recently used to the Jumplist instead of the frequently used" option and click OK.

Regarding the Jumplist for Windows Explorer, I'm sorry that there was no detail option to change the category. However, we still have some workaround. For your reference, I have enclosed them below:

For Windows Explorer:

Note: To do this, the recent Jumplist records will be cleared. Also, the "Recent" category may not stay long for Windows Explorer since it depends on your usage behavior over time.

1. Click Start menu and open Control Panel.

2. Double click the "Taskbar and Start Menu" icon.

3. Switch to Start Menu and clear the "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" option, and then click OK.

4. Open "Taskbar and Start Menu" again and select the "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" option back.

5. Click OK and exit.

If you would like to change the category permanently, please refer to the following links:

Developing for the Windows 7 Taskbar

Windows 7 Managed Code APIs

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:19 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:35 AM
  • How long will it take to go back to Frequent? I changed my Windows Explorer to Recent by mistake a week or two ago and I want Frequent back.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:10 PM
  • It actually won't ever go back to Frequent.  Each application is allowed to set which category (Recent or Frequent) should appear for itself in the Jump List - this is exposed at the API level on ICustomDestinationList::AppendKnownCategory.  Windows Media Player exposes an option in its own UI that allows the user to select the category that should display, but Explorer does not present this as an option.  Explorer sets its displayed category to Frequent the first time it is run for each user, but then never updates that selection. 

This thread has uncovered a bug that turning off Jump List data collection and then reenabling it will delete the category selection that Explorer made at first run.  I'll file a bug report on this, but I can't make any promises on whether it will get fixed.

I would recommend that you not use the workaround that Novak posted above, as there is no way to recover from it at this time.  It may also have effects on other applications that choose to provide a custom Jump List.  It's fine to turn off "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" if you want to prevent usage data collection for privacy reasons, but it's not a great way to control the category that displays for Explorer.

Thanks everyone for helping to discover this issue!

Ben Betz
    Windows Developer
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:34 PM
  • Well that's kind of disappointing to find out it's a bug but I can happily say the only one I've experienced in Windows 7 and it's technically a pretty minor one at that. Is there no way some tech-savvy individual around here could code up a little utility to flip the switch back to Frequent at the API level for those of us who did it by mistake and/or want it back?
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Still not fixed in Windows 7 SP1. Anything new for this?
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:12 AM
  • I'd also like to know, the frequent-category seems to be gone forever...
    †I wanna live, I wanna love, but it's a long hard road out of hell!†
    Friday, April 1, 2011 2:34 AM

This thread has uncovered a bug that turning off Jump List data collection and then reenabling it will delete the category selection that Explorer made at first run.  I'll file a bug report on this, but I can't make any promises on whether it will get fixed.

Ben Betz
    Windows Developer
    Where can one view the current dev-status of this issue? Was there anything done during the last year at all?
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:29 PM
  • It actually won't ever go back to Frequent.  Each application is allowed to set which category (Recent or Frequent) should appear for itself in the Jump List - this is exposed at the API level on ICustomDestinationList::AppendKnownCategory.  Windows Media Player exposes an option in its own UI that allows the user to select the category that should display, but Explorer does not present this as an option.  Explorer sets its displayed category to Frequent the first time it is run for each user, but then never updates that selection. 

I would recommend that you not use the workaround that Novak posted above, as there is no way to recover from it at this time.  It may also have effects on other applications that choose to provide a custom Jump List.  It's fine to turn off "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" if you want to prevent usage data collection for privacy reasons, but it's not a great way to control the category that displays for Explorer.

Thanks everyone for helping to discover this issue!

Ben Betz
    Windows Developer
    When there is a solution to this problem?
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:08 PM
  • The Jump List for all but MS Office 2010 Word & Excel work.  I've Disabled/enabled this function in Control Panel, Uninstalled/Reinstalled MS Office 2010, Also did Repair of MS Office 2010, Word & Excel still no Jump List.

Also have Outlook pinned to Taskbar but when clicked on, only shows the "_, [], X as just bar in upper left corner of Desktop.  Have same OS, Win 7, on another PC, all works great on it.

Thanks for any help,

Bill

Bill Gabbard

• Edited by BillG226 Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:53 AM correct typos
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:52 AM