A question which I have faced in an Interview? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've faced a question for which I didn't find a solution yet.

There an application where the other sequenced application is a pre-requisite for that. How to sequence this application.

We will not be able to install sequenced application in sequencer, right?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 3:04 PM

Answers

• Both, the Ap-V 4.6 and the App-V 5 Sequencer allow to 'extract/exapnd' an App-V package to the sequencer machine, which is (almost) as it was installed there.

Adding files to a VFSed location (like CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES or CSIDL_WINDOWS) is quite easy, it can be done in the Sequencer's Editor; Virtual File System tab. However this does not allow to add files to a MNT location (Q:\PVAD\<non-vfs>). App-V Explorer or pre-launch scripts are the best method here

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:29 AM
  • You can open the .sprj file for your application on your sequencer machine for upgrade and then add the file. There's a few ways to do it but for the sake of answering a question like that I would say, when you have opened for upgrade start the capture\monitor again and then copy the file or files to the location that you would like the file to go to. I think that's the most universal answer for the different versions of App-V and Softgrid...

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:12 PM

All replies

• You mean how to sequence an application, which has a pre-requisite that has already been sequenced.

Then you would install the pre-requisite locally on your Sequencing VM before sequencing the dependent application.

Then when you have both applications sequenced. You could use Dynamic Suiting or Connection Groups depending on what version of App-V you use to allow them to interact with one another to function

Alternatively depending on what you want. You could just open the pre-requisites application on your Sequencing VM with the sequencer and perform an upgrade and sequence the dependant application into the same package. Creating one large application with both application within the one virtual bubble so they could both see each other and function. But this is not idea if either application has multiple potential dependencies and if disk space is an issue etc. etc.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Thanks Rorymon,

I've one more question How to add a file to the application which we have already sequenced.

I'm really sorry to ask these basic questions but i would like to gain in depth knowledge and will learn from your suggestions.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:29 AM
  • You can open the .sprj file for your application on your sequencer machine for upgrade and then add the file. There's a few ways to do it but for the sake of answering a question like that I would say, when you have opened for upgrade start the capture\monitor again and then copy the file or files to the location that you would like the file to go to. I think that's the most universal answer for the different versions of App-V and Softgrid...

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Apart from open the package for upgrade, like Rorymon said, you also could add files after sequencing with scripting or with 3rd party software like Application Virtualization Explorer Professional: http://www.gridmetric.com/products/ave.html

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:41 AM
  • Thank you, Ben
    Friday, May 3, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Rorymon.
    Friday, May 3, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Both, the Ap-V 4.6 and the App-V 5 Sequencer allow to 'extract/exapnd' an App-V package to the sequencer machine, which is (almost) as it was installed there.

Adding files to a VFSed location (like CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES or CSIDL_WINDOWS) is quite easy, it can be done in the Sequencer's Editor; Virtual File System tab. However this does not allow to add files to a MNT location (Q:\PVAD\<non-vfs>). App-V Explorer or pre-launch scripts are the best method here

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:29 AM
  • we cannot able to install sequenced application but we can convert it into present version of app-v by using power-shell

Suppose if you had app-v 4.6 application which is before sequenced,and you want to sequence it into another version.

we can do this following code for converting the previous version of app-v file into another version.

1) modules for the app-v power-shell is loaded before.

2)if it is already loaded then test the app which is compatible or not to convert by using this command

Test-appvlegacypackage -sourcepath "your source path"

3) if it shows as compatable then convert it into another version of app-v by using this below command

convert-appvlegacypackage -sourcepath "your source path " -Desitinationfolder "destination folder"

Sunday, July 23, 2017 5:08 PM