hide taskbar broken RRS feed

• Question

• Sometime when the taskbar is hidden and I move the mouse to unhide it it still stays hidden. And sometimes the taskbar just won't hide and thus will be above the current open window.

The only way to fix this is to kill EXPLORER.EXE. I am not the only one experiencing this, since 4 of my friends all have this issue.

This is a must have feature for netbooks and small notebooks but it is broken.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:35 PM

All replies

• Are you using an HP machine with the StarDock WindowBlinds application installed?  I've seen that package interfere with all sorts of things on the desktop, and I would recommend it be removed and one of the standard Windows 7 themes used.

Something on your particular system is interfering with the operation of the Auto-Hide feature, because I use Auto-Hide all the time (on my Dell workstation) and it never fails to come out if I hover, or to hide if I'm off it.

Applications in the system tray (or hidden in that little area that opens if you click the arrow) can be causing the Taskbar to stay unhidden.  That used to be a way to ensure a message or change in the icon appearance from such an app would be seen.

As far as a workaround to get it to show again, try this:  Enter Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and start the Task Manager, then cancel it.  That may coax the Taskbar out without having to kill Explorer (which isn't the best idea).

-Noel

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot first.

If the issue persists in Clean Boot, I also would like to suggest you create a new user account to test the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot first.

If the issue persists in Clean Boot, I also would like to suggest you create a new user account to test the issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT

tried all, nothing works. the same with my friends.

Ohh yeas, and running Eclipse almost garanties that the taskbar will not want to unhide.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:33 AM
  • no news on this issue?

everyone I know has problems with the taskbar which at times does not want to unhide. It happens with every program even on a clean boot and a new user account.

The only to bring back the taskbar is by pressing the WIN key.

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:50 PM
  • just googled around and found many other people with the same bug. Heres one:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7desktop/thread/7e69c695-be4c-4f12-8b2f-874ac303629c

Why is this issue still not escalated to being a bug and hopefully fixed someday? How much more proof of this bug does M$ need?

Thus far on every computer I have been to the  bug will happen in under an hour.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Probably an application in the system tray is trying to notify you of something.  That used to be a feature, but now with the capability to hide icons in the hidden area under the little arrow, they often just unhide the Taskbar but you don't see the message.

You might find Outlook doing it, for example.

-Noel

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Probably an application in the system tray is trying to notify you of something.  That used to be a feature, but now with the capability to hide icons in the hidden area under the little arrow, they often just unhide the Taskbar but you don't see the message.

You might find Outlook doing it, for example.

-Noel

so the hide taskbar is kinda useless then. What good is the hide taskbar when the taskbar just gets lost and it will not unhide itself when the mouse is there.

The only way to unhide the taskbar is to press the WIN button which does kinda suck.

I am sure M$ CAN fix this bug!

If I were to call M$ support and asked them about this problem, would they just say that it's not fixable, or would they blame it onto third party applications?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:51 PM
  • I support over 700 Windows Desktops, and I've never seen the taskbar fail to show itself when you point at the bottom of the screen.  I have seen users complain that it's "staying up" and won't go back down, but never the reverse.

If it fails to go back down, it is because it is honoring a request made by another application.  Any application can instruct the taskbar to stay up, and Windows honors these.

If it fails to come up when you point at it, I would suspect malware or at the very least, bad software.  I'd try running security scans or using the SFC utility.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:38 PM
  • If it fails to come up when you point at it, I would suspect malware or at the very least, bad software.  I'd try running security scans or using the SFC utility.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    None of the computers having this issue are infected. And it is also happening on a fresh install of Win 7. So SFC would not fix anything.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Then you have bad video drivers or something.  Trust us when we tell you that the TaskBar normally works in Windows 7!

-Noel

Monday, August 30, 2010 11:42 PM
  • I too would suspect video drivers or mouse drivers, something isn't passing the onHover event correctly.  I've never -- ever -- seen an auto-hide taskbar fail to popup when pointed at, on any version of Windows.

I have seen an autohide taskbar fail to go back down, but only because an application running (either in the taskbar or tray) has caused it to stay up.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:16 AM
  • I too would suspect video drivers or mouse drivers, something isn't passing the onHover event correctly.  I've never -- ever -- seen an auto-hide taskbar fail to popup when pointed at, on any version of Windows.

I have seen an autohide taskbar fail to go back down, but only because an application running (either in the taskbar or tray) has caused it to stay up.

The video nor the mouse drivers are a problem. Since this happens on notebooks, PCs, netbooks. Running Win 7 from HOME to ULTIMATE.

It's like this:

Normally when the taskbar is hidden you can still see about a millimeter thick line at the bottom of the screen. While you see this line then the taskbar WILL pop up. But when you don't see this line, that is when the taskbar WILL NOT popup and the only way to get it working again is to press the 'WIN' key, which shows the start menu.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:57 AM
  • I don't know how to be more plain than this:

Something you are doing is causing this.  Something you have in common between all those systems - antivirus, something you've downloaded from the web, SOMETHING PARTICULAR TO YOUR SYSTEMS.

It simply doesn't fail for me, the line is always there, and I use Windows 7 HEAVILY.  It used to happen to me in Vista, but not Windows 7.

-Noel

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Trust me when I tell you that there are a lot of people out there that are having this PROBLEM. I have tried everthing. It works sometime and other time it dose not. I think it may be tied to outlook but I can not be sure.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:52 PM
  • I don't know how to be more plain than this:

Something you are doing is causing this.  Something you have in common between all those systems - antivirus, something you've downloaded from the web, SOMETHING PARTICULAR TO YOUR SYSTEMS.

It simply doesn't fail for me, the line is always there, and I use Windows 7 HEAVILY.  It used to happen to me in Vista, but not Windows 7.

-Noel

see lots of people are having this issue.

So could you at least escalate it into a bug and stop saying that there is something wrong with our setups!!!!!!!!!!!

If for some god forsaken reason this works for you, doesn't meant it works for the rest of the population.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Trust me when I tell you that there are a lot of people out there that are having this PROBLEM. I have tried everthing. It works sometime and other time it dose not. I think it may be tied to outlook but I can not be sure.

found a workaround, set the taskbar buttons.

http://www.shrani.si/f/1u/QU/4XVNs5bk/capture.png

Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:38 AM
  • open control panel

notifications

hide all notification

open task manager

kill explorer.exe

restart explorer using  new task

check notifications 1 by 1 till you find the culprit 

Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:18 PM