none
Tape Names RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

I hope somebody can help me regarding tape names for DPM & Reusing tapes.

We have a number of protection groups comfigured with the same recovory goals, and tape co-loation turned on.

The recovery goals are :-

1 Recover point every 1 weeks for last 4 weeks

1 Recover point every 1 months for last 3 months

1 Recover point every 1 years for last 1 years

Schedule:

1 Weeks        Sat 01:00

1 Months        First Sat 01:00

1 Years          Fourth Sat of July 01:00

Everything appears to be working using 4 x LTO 3 tapes. We plan to use the tapes as follows :-

1st Sat of Month        Month 1        Month 2        Month 3         Month 1 ...

2nd Sat of Month       Week 2        Week 2         Week 2          Week 2 ...

3rd Sat of Month        Week 3        Week 3         Week 3          Week 3 ...

4th Sat of Month        Week 4        Week 4         Week 4          Week 4 ...

5th Sat of Month         Week 5                                                Week 5 ...

1 tape contains 3 PGs [Virtual,Application,Files] and the other 3 tapes contain the files PG

On the 2nd Saturday of September, this created the following tapes

Virual Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000005

File Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000006

File Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000007

File Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000008

When the 2nd week of Oct can around, I placed the tapes back into our autoloader with the expectation that the tapes would be reused, and would keep the same name. The backup appeared to work, but at the end of the backup the tapes were named :

Virual Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000009

File Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000018

File Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000019

File Servers-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000020

Is this to be expected?  Why didn't DPM re use the tapes and leave the names the same ?

I had expected new tapes would get a new name with the number incremented, but that reused tapes would retain the same name.

Will all of my tapes get a new name every time they're used?

I'm inpressed by the speed and ease of use of DPM, but the tape handling is far worse than Backup Exec, and is the one part of the product that appears lacking.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Martin.

---

Martin Robson

Network Manager

William Howard School

Brampton, Cumbria

CA8 1AR

T: 016977 45754  F: 016977 41096

M: 07813136212

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hello Martin,

This is expected behavior.  When DPM sees a tape that is expired and can be used again, we perform a rewind operation and overwrite the tape contents including the tape header which contains the label information.  The new label is generated from the name of the protection group that first uses it.

More information can be found here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff653494.aspx
    Regards, Chuck Whitson This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Martin,

This is expected behavior.  When DPM sees a tape that is expired and can be used again, we perform a rewind operation and overwrite the tape contents including the tape header which contains the label information.  The new label is generated from the name of the protection group that first uses it.

More information can be found here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff653494.aspx
    Regards, Chuck Whitson This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Thank you for the Reply Chuck.

Does this mean that the tapes will always have a new name every time they are used ?

Having come from Backup Exec where you can specify the tape name, and therefore label the tape once, and have it use the same name every week. [e.g. Monday2-Tape1] it seems a little bit strange and counter-intuative.

I suppose I'll have to get used to changing the tape label every month!

Thank you for your help.

Martin.

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Yes, if the tape is overwritten a new label is generated.

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:39 PM
  • I agree; this seems somewhat counter-intuitive. As we move tapes offsite to a third party storage facility, the vendor also assigns a label of their sequencing to the tape. Earlier on in our deployment of DPM, I tried manipulating the naming convention within DPM to try and match what the vendor was doing, but have had no luck in redoing the naming convention within DPM to match their labels, and now, after reading this, I can see it is pure folly. I, too, will have to be forever 're-labeling' each tape that comes out of the tape drive, and maintaining now a spreadsheet that cross references DPM's label to the vendor label.... Is it just me or does this seem a tad silly? I was assuming that as the tape got reused, the "Copy 0" would change to "Copy 1" and so on; thus giving us an indication of how often a tape had been used..... Now that I think of it, now the spreadsheet has to also track 'number of times used" ?? I dont think this was too well thought out.... :(
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Agreed, also having come from a Backup Exec background.  I had a nice spreadsheet that said "It's Week 27, use tape XX."  You can still do that with DPM but you have to ignore the tape labeling.  I went through (time consuming operation) and viewed the contents of my tapes and made a list of the dates and where they fit into my retention schedule and then labeled the cases for the tapes as such.  I've only had DPM since Nov of 09, so I'm already into the 60's for weekly copies and having a "File Retention Group LT 1Weeks Copy 00000165" isn't going to make any sense to anyone who may have to do this job in the future.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

If you have the ability, could you please pass on this comment to those that have some dealing with DPM development?

The mandatory option of tape labelling by sequential numbering is crap.  A simple idea of labelling the tape with a name chosen by the operator has been available since ArcServe on Windows NT 4.  This is not something that would cause the programmers any difficulty in providing but not having it does mean that DPM looks like a half arsed idea.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:48 PM
  • I'll definitely see what I can do, but can't promise anything.   Interestingly, we were just asked to submit suggestions to the dev team on changes to the product just this morning. Your timing is most certainly impeccable.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:42 PM