Shortcuts no longer working correctly. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently reopened the Windows 7 speech recognition software again and had been training it for quite some time. However, after a while of talking to myself, I felt strange and decided to open up a game, so feeling confident in my training, I said outloud "Open Battlefield Bad Company 2" and wallah! It knew what I was looking for! But the .lnk to the game was a bust, and was no longer there (as it runs through steam).

So I went around the drive to correct the file destination for the 'Battlefield Bad Company 2.lnk', however, upon linking it, now every shortcut on my computer now links to it for some reason >.> Even when each shortcut is being pointed at a different location. I have to go through program files etc, in order to open the program I want. Every .lnk is now, for some unknown reason to me, being linked the the BFBC2 game.

Any ideas on how I can fix it before I do a system restore?

Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:38 PM

Answers

• This means you 'associated' the .lnk file type with the Battlefield game, rather than changing what the shortcut points to.  You probably right-clicked, choose "Open With" and then selected the game.  This means you want to open all shortcuts this way.

To resolve it, you'll have to reassociate lnk files, the easiest way is the registry file on this page.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Scare Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:13 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 10:47 PM

All replies

• This means you 'associated' the .lnk file type with the Battlefield game, rather than changing what the shortcut points to.  You probably right-clicked, choose "Open With" and then selected the game.  This means you want to open all shortcuts this way.

To resolve it, you'll have to reassociate lnk files, the easiest way is the registry file on this page.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Scare Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:13 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 10:47 PM
  • I think that was the problem, however, trying to merge the registry file I kept getting an error so I gave up unfortunately. Instead I just made a new username and copied the files over. 

Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Hey Scare, glad you're up and running, sorry you had to go through that trouble though.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:02 AM