Standby/Hibernate/Sleep Not functioning Correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a fresh install of 5536 and have the following errors.

Standby/Sleep --> Computer sleeps/standsby but the main power button will not wake the computer. The power light flashes to say it is sleeping.

Hibernate --> Vista hibernates and turns off the computer, but the power button will not turn the computer back on! I have to turn it off at the power supply and wait 30secs. Then it works again.

I've tried everything I can think of, but none of the issues occur in WindowsXP. So I can only imagine there is some conflict affecting the specific motherboard. Which is an Asus P4P800E Deluxe. 1GB ram and P4 3GHZ.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:55 PM

Answers

• I also encounted a hibernation problem. I upgrade to Vista PreRC from an XP SP2 machine (toshiba a105-s4211 with 1 gb RAM). The installation took a long time but appeared to be succesful. Many of the Toshiba utilities such as toshiba common modules, hotkey utility, and power saver are not compatible with this version of vista. As a result, brightness of the LCD screen cannot be adjusted. Obviously, the biult-in power management in the OS could not do the job either. I could not clone the lcd display to an external display either.

The sleep function seems woring well. The computer sleeps and wakes up without much complications. However, after the hibernation, the video display is all corrupted, displaying vertical stripes. Nothing can be made out on the screen. I do not know if this is related to the display driver. One pecularity is that the intel GMA 950 driver reported the adapter (945GM, intel) of having 251 mb ram with 64 mb dedicated ram and 187 mb shared ram. Has anyone else seen this kind of weird video memory configuration? Also hardware acceleration of the graphic card has been disabled.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:38 AM

All replies

• I also encounted a hibernation problem. I upgrade to Vista PreRC from an XP SP2 machine (toshiba a105-s4211 with 1 gb RAM). The installation took a long time but appeared to be succesful. Many of the Toshiba utilities such as toshiba common modules, hotkey utility, and power saver are not compatible with this version of vista. As a result, brightness of the LCD screen cannot be adjusted. Obviously, the biult-in power management in the OS could not do the job either. I could not clone the lcd display to an external display either.

The sleep function seems woring well. The computer sleeps and wakes up without much complications. However, after the hibernation, the video display is all corrupted, displaying vertical stripes. Nothing can be made out on the screen. I do not know if this is related to the display driver. One pecularity is that the intel GMA 950 driver reported the adapter (945GM, intel) of having 251 mb ram with 64 mb dedicated ram and 187 mb shared ram. Has anyone else seen this kind of weird video memory configuration? Also hardware acceleration of the graphic card has been disabled.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:38 AM
  • I'm having the same problem on a Dell Inspiron E1505 with the 950 GMA. I initially did an upgrade from Media Center Edition which seemed to work great except for some issues with hibernate/sleep/shutdown. I did a clean install this morning, now sleep and shutdown seem to be fine. After hibernate I get the vertical stripes as well, however if you CTRL+ALT+DEL and do a switch user back to yourself it seem to clear up. I am assuming it is a video driver issue.
    Sunday, September 3, 2006 7:32 PM
  • Just found out another problem with the sleep feature. This is with an RC1 installation on a laptop (toshiba A105-S4211). When the power line is not plugged in, opening the lip or pressing the power button does not bring the computer out of sleep. The battery light flashes several times, then nothing happens. If the power line is plugged in, then the computer wakes up normally. I have also seen an incidence that the computer reported that battery is missing after waking up from sleep.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:46 PM
  • I have a different problem with my desktop, to sum it up, I had to remove the turn off monitor after xx mins otherwise the whole system would go in sleep mode and my programs would stop working abruptly ("the program has not been closed propertly").

Using screensaver only fixed this problem but well a 22" CRT consumes quite a bit of energy, so I hope they fix this in RTM or even sooner.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:20 PM
  • Well... I have a Dell Inspiron 9300, using Vista build 5600. However, this problem also arose with 5536. Hibernate worked well, but then it encountered an error one day resuming. The display didn't come on (a problem with the driver, I assume, and I use nVidia Geforce Go). So I had to force it off (hold down power button).

Everything worked fine upon restarting, but when I went to try and hibernate again, the option disappeared. Now I can only put my laptop to sleep or shut it down. = /
    Sleep works fine though.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:57 PM
  • Is there any answer of this problem? Because I also have this problem too.

Recently I installed Vista RC1 on my machine (Toshiba Tecra M6, Coreduo T2300, RAM 512MB, Intel 945GM). The sleep function and wake up doing well. But after several minutes (i still didn't  know what exactly the amount of time), after putting the password (log on), my display show vertical stripes. The problem has dissapear when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, log off, and login back.

I was doubt if the problem caused by hibernation, because the time set of hibernation is 1080 minutes = 18 hours. While the problem occured before the machine entering hibernation state.

Monday, October 9, 2006 10:23 PM
  • I have the same problem. Coming out of sleep the display is highly fragmented. For instance, after hitting CTL-ALT-DEL, I can tell that the green screen has come up, but it's too distorted to see what the messages are. I have to reboot to get back to a normal display.

System: Asus A8N32-SLI with Nvidia GeForce 7900 + X-Fi Extreme Music (Beta Driver). Could this be related to the often mentioned ACPI problems that exist? Changing to a lower resolution does not solve the problem.

This is with the Retail version of Windows Vista Ultimate.

Friday, February 2, 2007 6:09 AM
  • I think it most probably that your problem is display driver issue.

Since I install a newer updated of my display driver (intel GMA950), i never found my display going bad.

My suggest is try to find out your latest updated of your display/vga driver!

Good luck.

Friday, February 2, 2007 6:25 AM
  • RE: Vidio card driver as solution for sleep problem.

Initially I too thought this was the case. I installed the latest driver from Nvidia for the GeForce 7900 available here. I read that others are having difficulty with ACPI errors on the A8N32-SLI board, but I don't have enough tech-knowledge to know if these problems are related. On a fresh boot, all systems are go and the system works wonderfully. I've turned off power management and have to rely on the screen-saver, but this is not a long term solution for the sake of my hd's lifespan. Any information on this problem or possible solutions is greatly appreciated.

TIA - Imminent

Friday, February 2, 2007 7:07 PM
  • Why do you have a media player to download and not have a driver that will work that can be downloaded at the time the windows media player 11 is downloaded? I had a driver but lost it I think due to problems I have been having with Windows period.......

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:16 AM