MDT 2013 Surface Pro 2 Fails to format and partition disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 Surface Pro 2's that all act the same. I have a docking station that I use to connect to the USB stick and the network. When I boot to the USB stick it connects to the server just fine. After I make my selections to install the Surface Pro image it starts the processing and gets to the MDT screen "Format and Partition Disk". Well it just sits there...forever if I let it. I have tried changing the MDT configuration to format the disk as GPT instead of MBR with no change in the result. I have imaged a couple of Surface Pro's (not Surface Pro 2's) without this error being displayed. I have changed the UEFI bios settings trying to find a combination that might let the disk get formatted, no luck. I can tell that the partitioning does work, just not the formatting of the disk.

If anyone has any ideas on how to diagnose this it would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the log files but due to their size am unable to find anything of interest in there.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:03 PM

Answers

• Not much information here to go on. Can you supply the bdd.log file. Copy to a public share like OneDrive, and share the link.

Typically any problems with format and partition have to do with the storage driver. Are you using the latest ADK from Microsoft? As Surface Pro 2 only supports Windows 8.x, you should *only* be using uEFI mode and GPT.

THe default MDT Task Sequence will do the right thing, *however*, if you change the settings in the "FOrmat and Partition Disk" step, you are then responsible for the settings from then on.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:21 PM

All replies

• Not much information here to go on. Can you supply the bdd.log file. Copy to a public share like OneDrive, and share the link.

Typically any problems with format and partition have to do with the storage driver. Are you using the latest ADK from Microsoft? As Surface Pro 2 only supports Windows 8.x, you should *only* be using uEFI mode and GPT.

THe default MDT Task Sequence will do the right thing, *however*, if you change the settings in the "FOrmat and Partition Disk" step, you are then responsible for the settings from then on.

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:21 PM
  • I am having the same problem. I suspect that it is related to the SSD on our Surface Pro 2's.

I'm betting that you are using 256GB models, as these are the only flavor of the SP2 that throw this error in my experience.

I have found that by reducing the size of the initial partition to 85% it will work! You can do this manually in the TS.xml or in MDT.

Of course, I'd like to use more than 85% of the SSD, so I am still looking for answers, but this may be a clue of where we can start.

Friday, June 6, 2014 7:12 PM
  • Hi ,

I'm having the same issue, and only on Surface Pro 2's.

I was using the ADK for 8.1 and all the right bits and pieces.

At first I tried creating new Task Sequences with the default format and partition step. That did not help.

I think rebuilding my MDT share and TS's is the only way to fix this.  I have had to use work arounds and diskpart scripts that cause other issues wih MDT.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:49 PM
  • Sorry, I do not have a Surface Pro 2 with the large 256 GB drive to test with. :^)

First off, you should all be using Windows 8.1. Surface Pro does not support Windows 7, and it's free upgrade to 8.1 from Windows 8.

Secondly, you should not be using MBR, or modifying the default MDT diskpart settings. Only full uEFI.

If anyone is still having problems, please copy a failing bdd.log file to a public site like OneDrive, and copy the link here. I would love to see this error in the flesh.

Friday, June 27, 2014 6:47 PM