Creating C:\My Documents on Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I recently configured a computer for a new user, and we have software that uses the folder "C:\My Documents" to store data files.  When I tried to create the folder, I received an error message (in explorer) that says "Cannot rename new folder.  A file with the name you specified already exists."  I tried creating it via the command line and received a similar error "A subdirectory or file My Documents already exists."  We have been using this software for a few years now, and I have never had issues with creating the folder in the past.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:21 PM

Answers

• "Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer" does this not open windows explorer at the MY Documents folder? The actual folder will be in "C:/Documents and Settings/(your-user-name)/My Documents". I don't see a need to create a new folder.

I was able to create a new folder in my C:/ drive directory. Perhaps you have a hidden folder of that name on the C:/drive directory. In windows explorer click "tools/folder options/View tab" Check the button for "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

• Edited by billmcct Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Renjith V Ramachandran Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crimdolyn Friday, October 19, 2012 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:47 PM

All replies

• "Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer" does this not open windows explorer at the MY Documents folder? The actual folder will be in "C:/Documents and Settings/(your-user-name)/My Documents". I don't see a need to create a new folder.

I was able to create a new folder in my C:/ drive directory. Perhaps you have a hidden folder of that name on the C:/drive directory. In windows explorer click "tools/folder options/View tab" Check the button for "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

• Edited by billmcct Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Renjith V Ramachandran Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crimdolyn Friday, October 19, 2012 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:47 PM
  • I can't believe I managed to overlook this.  There was a hidden file called "My Documents" (not a folder, but a single file) and had no extension.  I deleted the file and had no problems creating the folder.  Thanks for your reply bill :)
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Your quite welcome.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:57 PM