none
Creating Microsoft Project 2010 report - Need your help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am working with MP 2010 and trying to report project status of all current projects. I wonder how MP allows us to create a report or view contains the information of Project Name, Project Goal, List of Tasks completed (until the current date), Project Estimated Finish Date...

I mean how can I create a custom table containing "List of Tasks completed" and where do associated fields exist in MP 2010? Please guide me. Thanks so much for any suggestion!

Regards,

HP.

• Edited by Hoa P Pham Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:36 AM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:59 AM

Answers

• Have you created a Master Project to include all projects? Refer to link for creating Master project - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/plans-within-plans-master-projects-and-subprojects-HA010379395.aspx

Then you can design appropriate filters as suggested above; as for the Project Goal you can save it in a Text custom field and insert in your filtered view.

Sapna Shukla

• Marked as answer by Hoa P Pham Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:29 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Hello,

You cannot create project level custom fields in Project Pro 2010 or Project Std version. You need Project Server to create Project level custom fields.

1. As a workaround, create Task type custom fields name Order,Project Goal etc.

2. Then create a custom table and add the required custom fields and built-in fields in the table as required.

3. Create a custom view and add the custom table to the view.

4. Copy the custom table and custom view to global.mpt by using Tools | Organizer

5. You need to create a Master project now and insert all the projects into it. Create a blank new project. Open the custom view that you created in step 3 above. Insert the required projects by clicking on Project tab| Subprojects.(Do not expand the projects)

6. Type the  required information in the fields like Order, Project Name, Project Goal etc for all the projects.

7. Save project. Select  "Yes to All" button when Save prompt windows pops up.

8. Expand all the projects and filter by Completed Tasks.

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP) Please click Mark As Answer; if a post resolves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.

• Marked as answer by Hoa P Pham Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:28 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The Completed Tasks filter applied to a task table should get you close to what you need.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:48 AM
  • You can go to the View tab and then in the Data section of the ribbon, click on the Table button and then click on more table. Click on the Entry table and then copy it and give it another name. 

Add the fields that you want in addition to the %complete. 

and then as suggested earlier create a filter where it only displays tasks that are 100% complete. 

Regards,

Parthiv

Monday, October 8, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Adding to Julie and Parthiv, you can also use inbuilt Project Reports. If its 2010 - Project -> Reports -> Current->Completed Tasks

Sapna Shukla

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Really appreciate your help, you guys!

I can make a filter as you suggested, but for a status report of all projects, how could I apply the same way? Please guide me.

Sample of expected report:

Order       |       Project Name       |       Project Goal       |       List of Tasks completed        |       Project Estimated Finish Date

1              |          Project A           |            Goal A           |          Task A1, Task A2...             |       20/10/2012

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:20 AM
  • Have you created a Master Project to include all projects? Refer to link for creating Master project - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/plans-within-plans-master-projects-and-subprojects-HA010379395.aspx

Then you can design appropriate filters as suggested above; as for the Project Goal you can save it in a Text custom field and insert in your filtered view.

Sapna Shukla

• Marked as answer by Hoa P Pham Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:29 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Hello,

You cannot create project level custom fields in Project Pro 2010 or Project Std version. You need Project Server to create Project level custom fields.

1. As a workaround, create Task type custom fields name Order,Project Goal etc.

2. Then create a custom table and add the required custom fields and built-in fields in the table as required.

3. Create a custom view and add the custom table to the view.

4. Copy the custom table and custom view to global.mpt by using Tools | Organizer

5. You need to create a Master project now and insert all the projects into it. Create a blank new project. Open the custom view that you created in step 3 above. Insert the required projects by clicking on Project tab| Subprojects.(Do not expand the projects)

6. Type the  required information in the fields like Order, Project Name, Project Goal etc for all the projects.

7. Save project. Select  "Yes to All" button when Save prompt windows pops up.

8. Expand all the projects and filter by Completed Tasks.

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP) Please click Mark As Answer; if a post resolves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.

• Marked as answer by Hoa P Pham Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:28 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Thanks Sapna, it seems be the solution, I should consider building a master project to report more easily.

However, many projects not having the same objective/budget/resource... cannot be put in the same collection. In case of my company, there have many small projects running under different control of many managers. We have a board of directors, about 10 managers and about 20 small teams working on projects. The top always wants to have an overview of all lower levels. Thus, to simplify project status reporting, should I create a master project for each manager (that means a manager has only one master project) and they continue managing their ones by creating the subprojects?

We are on the way switching to MP to handle project info, could you advice me more for the model of managing the projects in MP?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Roopkumar. Hope it works.
    • Edited by Hoa P Pham Friday, October 12, 2012 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:10 AM
  • You can consider building Master Projects by integrating all Projects of a Manager into one; but I would say handling Master Project would require high level of expertize and consistency in maintaining it.
    You will have to create similar custom fields in sub-projects and master project;you can take a look at Visual Reports, to export your data to Excel and prepare the report in Excel.

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion, Sapna.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi Hoa P Pham

Is your issue resolved, please let us know so that thread can be closed. Please mark an appropriate solution.

Sapna Shukla

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:08 PM