none
Ways on how to Adjust/Update Remaining Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there! My project would like to adjust remaining work of tasks and came up with two ways. However, these pose cons on the resources and the leads, respectively. Please see below ways we thought of:

1. Resources enter their remaining work on their timesheets - CON: We have 50+ resources assigned to 50+ tasks per each. We do a weekly submission of PWA timesheets so this will really entail a big overhead for them if they adjust their remaining work for all their 50+ task buckets on a weekly (!) basis.

2. Leads update the remaining work via Microsoft Project - CON: Contrary to the above, the leads here will then be having a hard time to update all the resources under his/her oversight per work plan. (FYI we have 11 work plans)

My question now would be: Could you please let me know if there is another way to solve this concern? Thank you very much! I signed up for this forum especially that I always find insights and solutions on my PWA/MSP queries. :)

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:15 AM

All replies

• Somara --

To the best of my knowledge, I think you have identified the two methods for adjusting Remaining Work and I am not aware of any other methods.  I personally would lean towards the first option, but tell your team members they only need to adjust Remaining Work on tasks that actually need an adjustment.  They should not need to adjust the Remaining Work on every task in every project.  Just a thought.  Perhaps the others in this forum will have some ideas for you as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:58 PM
  • Thank you very much, Dale! Follow up question please: Do you know the implications of unchecking the "Updating Task status updates resource status" in the Schedule tab of the Project Options dialog box? We are considering the said option but are not certain if this will not update the actuals on the work plan. Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:14 AM
  • Somarana --

I would recommend that you do NOT deselect the Updating Task Status Updates Resource Status option.  When selected, this option is what keeps the task progress in sync with the resource progress, which is what you want.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:18 PM