XP Pro SP3 not keeping the right time RRS feed

• Question

• I have several XP Pro SP3 machines that since this weekend is an hour behind. I know they have the DST patch on them so I am not sure why this is happening. You can correct the time and it will stay that way for about 15 minutes then it goes back an hour. I have made sure the time is set right in the BIOS not sure what else to look at. All the DC's in my domain have the correct time. It is just a random few workstations. Has anyone seen this or have an idea of what might be causing it?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• Ran into the same issue. There is no real fix that I know of. we just waited until the new settings coincided with the old, or changed the time zone, to have the proper time.

SP3 contains the Daylight savings update, so you can't install that. You should try uninstalling sp3 and running the Daylight savings update. Try system restore if possible and then run the update, see where it takes you.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot com
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I have see this, where a couple of machines on a domain dont know about the new daylight savings times. Normally I just set them right and they stick untill the next year. There are some programs that you can get to keep your time sync'ed. You could put them on the computer. Or set up a dos batch file to run the command (which escapes my mind at the moment) to re sync with the Domain Controller. This is the time that you should have on all your computers. If your computers get out of time with the DC. Wierd things start happening.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:02 PM
  • you could try typing the following into a command prompt 

net time /domain:<yourdomainname> /set

it will then ask you to confirm syncing the time with the domain type y. Reboot and see if that time holds and doesnt change.

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:08 AM
  •  

Is it just the time that falls off, or does the date change, too? And, does the amount of time lag stay equal?  I mean, is the difference a consistent amount ?  What you might be seeing is a failure of the bdc to update /refresh the domain's synching, the difference being the offset of the time it takes the pdc to refresh the bdc and the rest of the domain. If the date changes, too, then you have an onboard bios battery failing in the pdc or bdc. Check their time settings to see if the battery in question are needing replacement.

MY BAD- I REREAD THE ORIGINAL QUESTION: ON THOSE FEW MACHINES THAT HAVE THE PROBLEM, LOG IN AS THE ADMINISTRATOR FIRST AT THAT CONSOLE- YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE THE CHANGE PERMANENTLY UNLESS YOU DO.

THEN, use the taskbar clock right-click to adjust the date and time and be sure the daylight savings settings are correct, also. And, as the administrator, logged on to those consoles, try typing the following command at a prompt:

net time /domainname:yourdomainnamehere /set

"While there is NO SUCH THING as a WRONG QUESTION, the EASIEST THING TO GET in the world is a WRONG ANSWER!"
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:33 AM