none
WDS settings issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I just setup WDS on our Windows 2008 server. We have a setup where the DHCP lives on another server. I am a OUadmin and not a domain admin in our company. Whenever I try to set the following location in WDS properties I receive "access denied" error. I also can't configure DHCP option 60. How do I get past these errors so I can get PXE server working.

Friday, September 9, 2011 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hmm, not sure how to get around the Access Denied block. But you mention something else--Since DHCP lives on another server on the domain, you shouldn't configure DHCP Option 60. This step is only applicable when DHCP AND WDS roles are on the same server, otherwise, do not select this option.

Where exactly are you getting the access denied box? What exactly are you trying to do/configure when this occurs?

So long as you give the WDS server the proper roles and issue a reboot, there isn't much else you need to configure in order to get the PXE going? Also, please ensure RIS/WDS services are stopped if another server currently handles these tasks.

• Marked as answer by techguy781 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:05 PM

All replies

• Would it be possible to work with someone who has domain admin credentials? You would be avoiding a lot of headaches if this is possible.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Yeah. I'm working on that but it may be awhile before they can help. Is there anything I can do as a OUadmin to bypass these access denied errors?
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Hmm, not sure how to get around the Access Denied block. But you mention something else--Since DHCP lives on another server on the domain, you shouldn't configure DHCP Option 60. This step is only applicable when DHCP AND WDS roles are on the same server, otherwise, do not select this option.

Where exactly are you getting the access denied box? What exactly are you trying to do/configure when this occurs?

So long as you give the WDS server the proper roles and issue a reboot, there isn't much else you need to configure in order to get the PXE going? Also, please ensure RIS/WDS services are stopped if another server currently handles these tasks.

• Marked as answer by techguy781 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:05 PM