RDP - Start program on connection RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if it is possible to publish an RDP session to a Windows 2003 server through IAG which would have the option of "Start the following program on connection". If it is not possible to do then I may need to do it through GP on the target server.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Amigo. The "start the following program on connection" is a property of Terminal Server so the only way to do it is to assign that property in Terminal Server. IAG is just a "funnel" that can transport the client's traffic (network layer) to the internal server but it doesn't manipulate data at the "application" level (not in client-server applications although it does in web applications). With UAG the scenario is a little bit different because UAG plays the rol of Remote Desktop Services Gateway so it can publish directly RemoteApps and this way there is no need to logon to RDP and then launch an application. The application can be launched by clicking an icon in the portal (of course, in the background there will be a RDP logon but all this will be handled by RemoteApps)

Hope it helps

// Raúl - I love this game
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:04 AM

All replies

• On your trunk just set the Initial Internal Application to be the RDP App...

Only thing is if you have types of operating systems connecting, you can get different results.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I don't think I explained my issue very clearly. I would like to achieve this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782233(WS.10).aspx through a published terminal services application on IAG.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Hi Amigo. The "start the following program on connection" is a property of Terminal Server so the only way to do it is to assign that property in Terminal Server. IAG is just a "funnel" that can transport the client's traffic (network layer) to the internal server but it doesn't manipulate data at the "application" level (not in client-server applications although it does in web applications). With UAG the scenario is a little bit different because UAG plays the rol of Remote Desktop Services Gateway so it can publish directly RemoteApps and this way there is no need to logon to RDP and then launch an application. The application can be launched by clicking an icon in the portal (of course, in the background there will be a RDP logon but all this will be handled by RemoteApps)

Hope it helps

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Thanks for your detailed response, I thought this may have been the case. I will endeavour to push for the UAG upgrade!
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Glad to help. Please if you find the response helpful, take a time to mark it as an answer as this will help others to find the right answers

Regards

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:01 PM