none
How to Add Administration (non-project) Time Resource Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the best way to allocate daily non-project time for resources in the resource pool? 

In our case SME’s or project resources use say 2 hrs a day (every day) for administration or non project work.  I am hoping there is a way to easily add this for the resources so that I could see a line item in the Resource - Usage view that shows “Non-project Time” for each resource and then daily increments of say 2hrs.  That way when we view resource utilization we will see their assigned project work plus the non-project time each day. 

Anyone know how to set this up?

Sean

Monday, August 8, 2011 2:14 PM

Answers

• Sean,

Normally I'd say that the "off-project" time needs to be tracked in your financial system, not in the Project file. However, here something you might try and see if it gives you what you want.

Assuming your resource pool is "pure", that is, it has only resources and no tasks, take a departure from that approach and add a Non-Project time task to the resource pool file. Set the "task" to start on the same date as the earliest task in the sharer files and to finish at the same time as the latest "task" in the sharer files. Then assign each resource to that "task" at the rate of 2 hours per day. Now when you look at the Resource Usage view in the resource pool file, you will see all the normal project working time plus the separate non-project time. And, this non-project time and its associated cost will not appear in any of the sharer files. However, in order to keep those non-project costs out of the calculation of total cost in the resource pool file, you will need to manually take out those cost values, or create a custom field and a simple VBA macro to segregate those costs.

I've never used this method so there could be some distinct disadvantages but it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, August 8, 2011 3:58 PM

All replies

• Sean,

Normally I'd say that the "off-project" time needs to be tracked in your financial system, not in the Project file. However, here something you might try and see if it gives you what you want.

Assuming your resource pool is "pure", that is, it has only resources and no tasks, take a departure from that approach and add a Non-Project time task to the resource pool file. Set the "task" to start on the same date as the earliest task in the sharer files and to finish at the same time as the latest "task" in the sharer files. Then assign each resource to that "task" at the rate of 2 hours per day. Now when you look at the Resource Usage view in the resource pool file, you will see all the normal project working time plus the separate non-project time. And, this non-project time and its associated cost will not appear in any of the sharer files. However, in order to keep those non-project costs out of the calculation of total cost in the resource pool file, you will need to manually take out those cost values, or create a custom field and a simple VBA macro to segregate those costs.

I've never used this method so there could be some distinct disadvantages but it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, August 8, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hi Sean, John,

A customer of mine is using this for the past 9 years or so, no problem whatsoever. Still, they enter these NPA (that's what they call it, Non Project Activities) in a seperate file, connected to the same pool.

As for costs, in any usage view, cost rate table field, set cost rate table for the assignments to B or any other rate table that has 0 as cost.

Greetings,

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Sean,

If the costs of the resource's non-project time are included on the project, I would recommend something similar to what John-Project stated, such as inserting a "non-project task" and tracking it that way.  However, if the resource time on non-project work is NOT included in the project, this method requires calculations to get an accurate picture of project costs, Earned Value, etc.

In times past when my clients have wanted to track similar information, I have recommended setting up a separate project file, called "operations", tracking their non-project involvement through that project file.  This allows a clean separation from the actual project costs.  Depending on the type of non-project work you want to track, you can even break out tasks such as training, maintenance, or general administrative duties as tasks, and track resource time at that level in the operations file.  If you do not use a resource pool for both files, set the resource Max. Units at 75% on the project (assuming they are 100% productive) and 25% on the "Operations" file.  This will of course require setting task priorities and leveling between the two projects in a master file.  This is an unusual situation and it requires close attention to both files.

I hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:36 PM