none
Weighted % Complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Project Guru’s,

I am using MS Project 2010 and am trying to create a weight percent complete. I understand the % Complete = (Actual Duration / Duration) * 100. But I need a % complete based on the weight of each task.

So I created a custom field, Weight[Number1], to denote the weight of each task and populated each task with its associated weight. The weight equals 100 for each Child Summery task when it is a 100% complete. Then created a second custom field, Weight Complete[Number2], and used the formula [% Complete]*[Number1]/100 and set the task and group summary rows to Rollup on the sum.

The third custom field, Weight % Complete[Text3], applies a “%” by using formula [Number2] & " %" and setting the task and group summary rows to Use Formula.

All is working properly for the Child Summery tasks. Where things are breaking down are at the Work Package 1 summery task level. Nothing should go over a 100%, yet the summery task rows are showing numbers like 285% and 385%.

How do I get the Summery Task rows to reflect the weighted percentage complete and not the sum of all the Child Summery tasks under Work Package 1?

I am unable to attached the file as an example, so I hope my question is clear enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 9:55 PM

Answers

• Robert,

I'm not sure I could put it much better than Trevor but let me add one thought.

Percent complete is based solely on the passage of time whether it's weighted or not. The passage of time accomplishes nothing, other than to heal wounds or console lost love. What really gets things done is effort (i.e. work), and that's what should be measured (no weighting required).

And by the way, are you aware that the percent complete calculation at summary level is already a weighted average? Percent complete at summary level is:

(sum of actual durations of all subtasks)/(sum of durations of all subtasks)*100%

Nonetheless, just for fun I simulated your scenario. One thing, (besides your reason for doing this), that isn't quite clear is how the Number1 field for a summary line becomes 100 WHEN the summary is 100%. In my simulation I assumed the Number1 field at summary level should be the sum of the Number1 values for all its subtasks, meaning that the weighting of all subtasks equals 100. If that's the case then that is the reason for your problem at higher level summary lines. That summed rollup will also apply to the Number1 field at all higher summary levels and give results for the Number2 field calculation that are greater than 100.

John

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:59 PM

All replies

• Are you really sure that you want to persist with this?

What is this "weight" which seems to be some property or attribute of a task? What is it measuring? What is the objective? What purpose is served, apart from practice at arithmetic and making the formulae?

In MSP, there is duration, work and cost, and each has an actual part and a remaining part. Everything that is needed to plan the project and measure the progress is in those numbers.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:43 PM
  • Robert,

I'm not sure I could put it much better than Trevor but let me add one thought.

Percent complete is based solely on the passage of time whether it's weighted or not. The passage of time accomplishes nothing, other than to heal wounds or console lost love. What really gets things done is effort (i.e. work), and that's what should be measured (no weighting required).

And by the way, are you aware that the percent complete calculation at summary level is already a weighted average? Percent complete at summary level is:

(sum of actual durations of all subtasks)/(sum of durations of all subtasks)*100%

Nonetheless, just for fun I simulated your scenario. One thing, (besides your reason for doing this), that isn't quite clear is how the Number1 field for a summary line becomes 100 WHEN the summary is 100%. In my simulation I assumed the Number1 field at summary level should be the sum of the Number1 values for all its subtasks, meaning that the weighting of all subtasks equals 100. If that's the case then that is the reason for your problem at higher level summary lines. That summed rollup will also apply to the Number1 field at all higher summary levels and give results for the Number2 field calculation that are greater than 100.

John

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:59 PM