none
Reource allocation question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a task with a 80 hour duration and 3 resources assigned to the task and each of the resources are schedule to work on the task 30% of their time. I just found out that part way through the task one of the resources will be removed completely. How can I reflect losing this resource so that the date pushes out to compensate for losing that 30% of her time for the remainder of the task? I tried to enter into the exceptions a "Off the Project" and enter in the date in which she's off the project as a start date and then a date WAY into the future as an end date but this only pushed the task WAY to to complete at a date after she "came back" from that time off I set. This is not the desired effect. I basically need the first part of the task to be completed by three people applying 30% of their effort and then after she leaves the remainder of the task compeleted by two people applying 30% effort. This has to be easy to do and I'm not getting it.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 4:50 PM

All replies

• hshayhorn --

Do the following:

1. Apply the Gantt Chart view and then select the task in question.
    2. Right-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart pane and choose the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.  This will display the Task Entry view with the Gantt Chart in the top pane and the Task Form in the bottom pane.
    3. Right-click anywhere in the Task Form pane and then select the Work details on the shortcut menu.
    4. In the task Form Pane, locate the Remaining Work value for the team member who is leaving the task.
    5. Mentally divide this number by two.  That will tell you how much Remaining Work needs to be added to each of the other two team members.
    6. Increase the Remaining Work for the other two team members by the number you mentally calculated in step #5.
    7. Set the Remaining Work to 0h for the team member who is leaving the task.
    8. In the Task Form pane, click the OK button.

If the Task Type for the task in question is either Fixed Units or Fixed Work, Microsoft Project will automatically calculate the new increased Duration value.  In addition to these steps, I would also recommend you add a note to this task to explain what happened to the team member who left the task.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:16 PM
  • OK I can see this working if the situation was happening right now. However, I'm planning this for the future. The task is underway right now and the resource is leaving the project on 11/1. Is there a way to do this now but make it effective on 11/1 so I can show my steakholders the affects of her leaving the project now rather than wait until it happens? This is going to push other task dates out since most of the other tasks a dependant on this one.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 5:56 PM
  • hshayhorn --

Yes, by all means make the change now.  And add a note to explain the situation.  If you make the change now, you can see the downstream impact, which would give you time to plan how to respond to the slippage.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:39 PM
  • As an additional suggestion, consider changing the resource's availability to zero as of Nov 1.  In a Resource view (Resource sheet, resource usage) double click on the resource to open the Resource Information window.  Set the Available To date to Oct 31.

That way if the task is shifted, the resource will be automatically flagged as overallocated should her work extend beyond Oct 31.

Friday, October 18, 2013 10:56 PM