Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation still reboots after last update RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning!
    It will not start after yesterday's update and server restart. It only loads, then displays "Install Update 2 of 5", then displays "Notifying services that Windows is shutting down" And the server will restart over and over. Please get advice on how to fix the problem, Thank you.
    Friday, December 13, 2019 7:16 AM

Answers

• https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2019/11/18/november-2019-updates-caused-windows-server-2012-reboot-loop/

I use this procedure for solving problem. Thank you

• Marked as answer by Vladimír1 Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Vladimír,

Thank you for posting here.
    According to your description, if we analyze the problem from the direction of the update, this may require you to provide what update installations were performed by the server before this situation occurred. Providing this information will help the problem analysis.

Also, I'm guessing that you are currently facing a dilemma of not being able to enter the operating system. I have also researched the methods provided in some threads for your reference to solve the current dilemma:

1. "ESXi 5.5 - Server 2012 R2 - Unable to shutdown after adding to domain"
      This thread mentions a method for modifying the group policy "Clear virtual memory pagefile" to be disabled, consider checking in a domain controller to see if this group policy is configured to be enabled.

2. "Please wait for the System Event Notification Service"
      Several methods are mentioned in this thread, but the basic idea is that remote processing through servers in other domains will prevent the processes started by the server from ending manually.

* Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

But since I haven't tested with the environment that you are facing the same problem at the moment, I provide these information functional references. The crux of the problem, I think, is to find a way to get the system back to work.
    I will also continue to study this issue, which may take some time, and look forward to your progress reply.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Hi Vladimír,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 20, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Hi Everyone,

Since this thread has not been updated for a long time, the following thread summary is provided for reference during subsequent follow-up.

• Issue Symptom
      Windows Server 2012 R2 server fails to start after restarting after installing the update.
      Related information: "Notifying services that Windows is shutting down"

• Possible Cause
      Unable to determine, it may be a startup problem caused by system file modifications caused by the update.

• Troubleshooting Steps so far
      Provides a reference solution for temporarily fixing startup problems.

• Next Step
      Waiting for reply.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 5:56 AM
  • https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2019/11/18/november-2019-updates-caused-windows-server-2012-reboot-loop/

I use this procedure for solving problem. Thank you

• Marked as answer by Vladimír1 Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:58 PM