none
Unable to backup file server on different DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently moved my primary DPM server off-site.  I now have a file server that is on the old LAN that the primary server used to be on.  So - I have created a new DPM server and want to backup my file server with the new DPM server.  I uninstalled the Agent on the file server and installed the agent from the new DPM server.  When I attempt to create a protection group I am unable to backup the files on the file server.  My files were on the D:\ drive of the server and I am unable to browse this volume from the DPM protection group wizard.  When I just check the entire D:\ volume - the DPM server thinks I am backing up the Primary DPM server protected volume. 

I have reinstalled the agent a few times.  Some manualy and some through the wizard - no luck.  I re-added the file server to the domain thinking a new SID might solve the issue thinking their is some connection to the old DPM server on a SID level - no luck.  Any help to have my new DPM server backup the file server would be greatly appreciated.

Zach

Zach Smith
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:36 AM

Answers

• 1. Can you please check the status of the File Server?

DPM UI -> Management Tab -> Agents -> Check the file server status

If the status is having issues do the step 2:

2. Execute the command in elevated command shell on the file Server:

"%systemdrive%\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\SetDpmServer.exe" -dpmServerName  <DPMServerName>

3. Redo step 1, with refresh information on right clicked

4. If the status is good, retry protecting the file server and check if you are able to browse D:

Geethakrishna

[As is provided without warranties and confers no rights]

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:54 PM