Copy text from word without track changes RRS feed

• Question

• Version: Word 14.0.6129.5000 32 bit

Hi -

We receive tons of word-documents to our newspaper, and many of these are copied and pasted into incopy. Some of the editors also use track changes in word heavily.

The ordinary ctrl+a ctrl+c ctrl-v copies track-changes-info. (This also apply if we copy to notepad etc.)

Is there an easy way to copy just the text without all the track chages-info, just the final text?

This is a big problem for us, and I haven't found a quick and easy solution on the web.

Regards -

Johannes

(Sorry for bad english)

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:34 AM

All replies

• Make sure that Track Changes has been turned ON in the source document, and OFF in the target document.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Monday, April 8, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Thank you for your reply Hans -

Of course, we can copy text to another word-document and then copy to incopy. But this routine is too advanced for some of the journalists, and too annoying when you are dealing with 30-40 documents.

There must be a function or checkbox hidden in word somewhere that let us copy text easy from word to other applications? This was never an issue with older Word-versions.

Monday, April 8, 2013 12:00 PM
  • The only other way I can think of is to accept all tracked changes, copy the text, then undo (or close the document without saving).

As far as I know there is no magic setting that lets you copy text without the tracked changes to the clipboard.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Monday, April 8, 2013 12:25 PM
  • How about teaching everyone to use Paste Special instead and insert it as unformatted text?

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Paste unformatted text works within Word, but not when pasting from Word to another application. And it doesn't remove tracked changes...

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi Hans,

It must work slightly differently on Word 2011 for the Mac versus the PC versions of Word. I tested it and on Word 2011 both Tracked Changes and Comment where stripped out when I when I did a Paste Special unformatted text.

Oh well... just an idea.

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:50 PM
  • In Word 2010 for Windows, paste as unformatted text leaves the tracked copies text marked as deleted along with other text.

And what happens if you paste into another application, for example the Mac equivalent of Notepad? Does text marked as deleted disappear?

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Have you tried showing FINAL from the Review tab and copying that and pasting it?  I just tried it and it did not copy track changes.  I tried in in a few other programs as well.
    Monday, April 8, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Hi Hans,

I just retested this Copy/Paste of Tracked Changes and Comments under Word 2011 for the Mac and Word 2010 for the PC. The results vary.

Regarding the PC with 2010 version.

• Regardless of the Show Tracking settings in the Source document, the tracked changes DO NOT transfer from the source Word document to the destination Word document.
    • Regardless of the Show Tracking setting in the Source document, comments ALWAYS carry over into the destination Word document.
    • In all cases, source document tracked changes ALWAYS transfer to Note documents.
    • Paste Unformatted DOES NOT eliminate the tracked changes and comments when pasting to a Word destination document

Regarding Word 2011 on the Mac

• Regardless of the Show Tracking settings in the source document, the tracked changes DO NOT transfer from the source Word document to the destination Word document.
    • Regardless of the Show Tracking setting in the Source document, comments ALWAYS carry over to the destination Word document.
    • In all cases, source document tracked changes DO NOT transfer to Text (txt) documents.
    • Paste Unformatted ALWAYS eliminates the tracked changes and comments when pasted into the destination Word document.

On both versions the default settings for Smart Copy/Paste and Cut, Copy, Paste we in effect. All test files where xml formats. (docx)

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Thanks for testing, Rich, and for reporting the results!

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:18 PM
  • The selected display options shouldn't matter, only whether the tracking has been activated or not. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/sharing/howtrackchangesworks.html#HowToCopyTextContainingTrackedChanges.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Just remove them by clicking <Accept> under review.

This will remove all the comments and track changes, then give you the final document.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:08 AM