none
DPM was unable to access the cluster resource group RRS feed

• Question

• Host DPM Server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2

DPM 2012 R2 - Physical Server

I am trying to restore a VM to a prior date and I get this error when selecting restore to original location

DPM was unable to access the cluster resource group ServerName.ClusterName.Domain for Online\ServerName of protection group Hyper-V Guests. Recover the datasource using the alternate location workflow. (ID: 32579)

Has anyone come across this issue before and what did you do to fix it? Thanks.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:29 PM

All replies

• Guess no one has had this issue....Just my luck.
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Did you try to recover to network location on one clusters server? 
    Friday, September 11, 2015 10:22 AM
  • I am going to try to restore to another Host first to see how that goes.
    Monday, September 14, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Ok, I tried to restore to another VM Host which put it in the Hyper-V Manager but when trying to add it back into the Failover cluster it fails.

Error: DPM was unable to access the cluster resource group VMName.ClusterName.domain for \Online\VMName of protection group Hyper-V Guests. Recover the datasource using the alternate location workflow. (ID 32579)

I then proceeded to create a dummy VM with same name and location, performed an original restore, puts it back into the Failover Cluster but errors out when trying to start the VM.

Error: Cluster resource 'Virtual Machine ' of type 'Virtual Machine' in clustered role '' failed. The error code was '0x5' ('Access is denied.').

Event ID: 1069

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 6:39 PM
  • Ok, I tried to restore to another VM Host which put it in the Hyper-V Manager but when trying to add it back into the Failover cluster it fails.

Error: DPM was unable to access the cluster resource group VMName.ClusterName.domain for \Online\VMName of protection group Hyper-V Guests. Recover the datasource using the alternate location workflow. (ID 32579)

I then proceeded to create a dummy VM with same name and location, performed an original restore, puts it back into the Failover Cluster but errors out when trying to start the VM.

Error: Cluster resource 'Virtual Machine ' of type 'Virtual Machine' in clustered role '' failed. The error code was '0x5' ('Access is denied.').

Event ID: 1069

Hi Blacksuit1, may i know any update from your side ? can share the result ?
    Monday, June 29, 2020 3:00 AM
  • Hi

It seems like DPM is having permission issue querying the cluster resource group. Try running below PS script from DPM server and see if it works:

Get-WMIObject -Class MSCluster_Resourcegroup -ComputerName HOSTNAME -Namespace root\mscluster |  Select-Object PSComputerName,Name,Status ,state| ft -AutoSize

Or you can also download WMIExplorer, run it on the DPM server and try connecting to the WMI Class of one of the nodes and see if it works.

You can also check the DPMRA logs on the Hyper-V node (active node for the VM) and see which WMI class it is trying to call. Once we have the WMI class handy, try connecting it using WBEMtest from DPM server manually and see if it is working.

If nothing works out, try to share the DPMRA logs from Protected Server and MSDPM logs from DPM server.

Monday, June 29, 2020 11:00 AM