Why folders with shortcut arrows and messed up permissions? RRS feed

• Question

• All of a sudden, in a newly installed Win 7 Pro 64, I'm getting folders with shortcut arrow icons in my Administrator/User account from which I am blocked access.  Some of them duplicate other folders.  This is the worst OS I've ever seen for permission problems, and judging from the forum dates, it goes back for years.  There's no excuse for making us waste time and raise blood pressure with this nonsense.  It's about as bad as when I tried to upgrade from Win95 to XP, and XP kept hounding me with security questions that I couldn't answer.  I took it back to the store and got Win2k, which I still use on two other computers, and Win2k is still the most stable Windows I've had.  This foolishness is keeping me from getting productive work done, and I resent it.  If Microsoft doesn't start sending updates that fix these problems yesterday, I'll be looking for another OS to start a small business.  Linux is beginning to look a lot better. 
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

• Those folders are not real folders but Junctions used to allow legacy programs access to Window7's folder structure.

e.g. Documents and Settings, Application Data, My Documents.

They are normally hidden as protected system files which you must have made visible.

I don't see how these Junctions are preventing productive work from being accomplished.

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:43 PM