Request Screen Share RRS feed

• Question

• One of the things I find incredibly time consuming (and frustrating) is calling users and asking them to share their screen.

I quite often support elderly users whom always reckon they are not good at IT (but often surprise me :) )

Whilst I have now worked out a routine of how to to explain to most how to share their screen, it is not always the same and without actually seeing what the user is looking at on their screen, it can sometimes be difficult to get them to understand what to click on to do this.  (e.g. look for the three dots, select the one with a screen and an arrow...  No not those three dots, they are called an ellipses, I mean the bigger blue dots that have icons inside them... etc)

Anyhow, I was just thinking, would it not be great if Microsoft provided an option for you, where you can send a link via IM for the other person to click on that would then open the screens to choose from to share.

• Edited by GTEM Monday, March 9, 2020 4:52 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2020 4:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi GTEM!

Your idea is great! This really saves a lot of trouble.

However, Microsoft Teams is not support you send the link about screen share request via IM at present. You need to go to the chat controls in the upper-right corner and select share. For more details, you can refer to:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-your-screen-in-a-chat-in-teams-2de1c624-7fbe-4b0a-99f2-33385e7d3f18

We highly recommend you create a feedback in the Microsoft Teams UserVoice. The link is: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public. Your kindly response will improve user experience with our product.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by GTEM Tuesday, March 10, 2020 10:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2020 2:06 AM
  • Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have gone to the feedback site you suggested and found there was already a request for this feature so I voted for it.

Problem with going to the chat controls in upper right corner as you describe...
    Normally I would have just called the user or they would have just called me.
    At this point (after the call is answered) they will see my face on their screen, not the chat window.
    They now have to hover the mouse over your face before screen share option appears underneath your face in a icon inside a blue dot.
    It only says screen share when you hover the mouse over it. So that means I have to describe to the user over the phone what the icon looks like and where they need to try and find it.
    Also when I say look at the three dots underneath my picture after you hover the mouse over my picture, they often tend to click on the ellipses instead of the third dot with the screen sharing icon.
    To get them to see the chat controls in the upper right, they first need to click away from Chat (e.g. teams on the left bar) then return to chat) and then see the three dots at the top with icons inside them. (first one looking like a water bottle I am told. Next one the phone and the last one a square with an up arrow in it???  really not clear is it? )

Thanks again for the response and the link to Feedback. If only there was a way to get this sooner that would be great.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 10:23 AM
  • Hi GTEM!

I will vote for it later!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 2:46 AM