System Restore for Windows Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• i had an old computer that i have given to a relative with very sick children so at least she could have access to the internet for research, etc. - what i did was a system restore after calling microsoft and them instructing me on how to DELETE EVERYTHING off of my computer before giving it to her - i explained to microsoft that i only had kept the two red system restore disks and i can not find anything else - they just told me to call them back after i got to the end of the system restore so they could walk me through the rest of the process - when i called microsoft back and asked them for the PRODUCT KEY which is what i need to have to proceed and since this was a very old computer and worked off of Windows 98 they proceeded to tell me that now they could NOT help me and give me a product key for my old computer, that they don't have product keys for windows 98 any longer NOW WHAT AM I TO DO??? - they were told it was a windows 98 operating system from the beginning and said nothing about not being able to give me the product key when i got to that point of the system restore but when i called back i got told they could not help me - is this a joke or what?? so i am in desparate need of a product key to get this computer working - my niece needs this computer so badly with these two sick children....one with cerebral palsy and the other is 3 years and still eats by a feeding tube - she has never been able to afford a computer and while home health nurses are with the children she goes to her local library - i am desperately trying to help her have a computer in her home regardless of how old it is - can anyone help me?????? any information or assistance would be so greatly appreciated - thank you everyone and of course, always be blessed!
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:41 AM

Answers

• The Windows product key should be printed on a label that is affixed on the computer itself....take a thorough look.
    Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Please refer to the guide and pictures in the following link to find the product key:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx#Packaging

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:11 AM

All replies

• The Windows product key should be printed on a label that is affixed on the computer itself....take a thorough look.
    Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Please refer to the guide and pictures in the following link to find the product key:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx#Packaging

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:11 AM