none
Specific items do not appear when searching lists/ Draft list items display

Question

• Hi everyone,

First question: We are finding that specific items are not appearing in our Sharepoint lists when we search for them. 

In one example, a "People" list containing name and contact info will display the item when we place a filter on the Last Name column. If we search the specific "People" list, it does not appear. If we search the entire Sharepoint site, that particular item in that particular list does not appear. 

My colleagues tell me that this has been discovered within another list, called "Organizations" which capture organizations and their contact info, but they couldn't provide me the exact details of that item (just a memory that there was an issue).

I have checked that the lists in question are set to allow "Any user who can read items" see draft items in these lists. So even if they were unpublished drafts, they should still be visible in searches.

What could be causing this behavior? Have others encountered this? I am concerned that there are other items that are "hiding" in this way and we currently have no way to find them, possibly resulting in duplicate entries and other problems.

Second question: Is there some way to view items which are marked as draft?  A delimiting search, or a place within Sharepoint which will display just draft items?

Thank you in advance for any insights!

• Edited by EricaJJ Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:22 PM Clarification of question
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:12 PM

Answers

• Hello SP users,

In case others have come across this problem, I found that re-indexing the list in question rendered the "invisible" item visible in searches.  The item was added in 2013, so it seems like it was never picked up in the initial index, or somehow fell out of the index - ?!

In any case, for SP Online (Office 365), Go into SP Site Settings  > Site Libraries & Lists > Select [NAME OF LIST] > Advanced Settings > Select "Reindex List" 

This can slow things down especially for huge lists like ours, so best to do it when no one needs access to SP. 

best,

Erica

• Marked as answer by EricaJJ Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:24 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:24 PM

All replies

• Hi EricaJJ,

>> First question: We are finding that specific items are not appearing in our SharePoint lists when we search for them.

To resolve this issue, please make sure that the Allow items from this list to appear in search results option is selected.

List Settings > Advanced Settings.

If the content is brand new, the search system might not have picked it up yet. Wait a while and try again. If you still don't get results, check with the site administrator to make sure that the content you're expecting hasn't been excluded from search, and that you have permission to view it.

In SharePoint Online, search crawls occur continuously to make sure that content changes are available through search results as soon as possible. Recently uploaded documents or new created items may not immediately be displayed in search results because of the time that's required to process them. SharePoint Online targets between 15 minutes and an hour for the time between upload and availability in search results (also known as index freshness). In cases of heavy environment use, this time can increase to six hours.

>> Second question: Is there some way to view items which are marked as draft?  A delimiting search, or a place within SharePoint which will display just draft items?

Drafts are minor versions or items which have not been approved. You can create a list view and use “Approval Status” to filer items to get the drafts for the list.

For getting drafts in search, we can create a new managed property and map the “ows_ModerationStatus” crawled property (internal name of “Approval Status” column) to this managed property. Wait a moment for SharePoint search crawl.

Then we can use the managed property to search drafts.

Learn more about KQL queries for search, read the following article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee558911.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 5:51 AM
  • Thanks, Linda.

Regarding the first question, I have checked that all of our lists are set to allow items from the list to appear in search results. So that is not the problem.

Regarding the second question, there is no column called "approval status" in our lists. So I checked our list settings (versioning settings) and see that no one needs "content approval" in order to publish items in a list. So there must not be any draft types of items floating around out there.

Any other ideas on why a particular item will not display in searches, as I have described?

Tonight, after everyone goes home, I plan to re-index the lists in question, just to see if it has any effect. Perhaps this is pointless. The column which we are searching on (and not retrieving results) is an indexed column.

Thanks for any additional info, insights or things to try!

Erica

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:56 PM
  • Hello SP users,

In case others have come across this problem, I found that re-indexing the list in question rendered the "invisible" item visible in searches.  The item was added in 2013, so it seems like it was never picked up in the initial index, or somehow fell out of the index - ?!

In any case, for SP Online (Office 365), Go into SP Site Settings  > Site Libraries & Lists > Select [NAME OF LIST] > Advanced Settings > Select "Reindex List" 

This can slow things down especially for huge lists like ours, so best to do it when no one needs access to SP. 

best,

Erica

• Marked as answer by EricaJJ Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:24 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:24 PM