none
Pshell Script in SCCM pkg needs to write to all users Favorites Bar folder in IE10. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All -

I have a need in my company to place a new Internet shortcut on the Favorites Bar(IE10) of every known profile in our Windows 7 environment via a SCCM 2012 pkg.

I've been thinking of the best way to do this...MSI, .bat file etc, but it seems best that Powershell would be the more efficient solution. I've read of the limitations of trying to populate any users Favorites Bar via GPO(can't use this route) and MSI's, but surely powershell can get me over this hurdle.

I think i'm close in using the Registry's profileList contents and throwing them into a variable, but not sure how to "page thru each" and place this link within each users favorites bar. This will need to be performed once the PC is logged out.

Any ideas?
    TIA

$PracticeGroup=Get-childitem-path"C:\JLtools\utilities\Practice Areas home page.website"

$profileList='HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList'|

Get-ItemProperty|

Where-Object{$_.profileImagePath}|

Select-Object-propertyprofileImagePath

foreach($ProfileNamein$profileList) {

Copy-Item$PracticeGroup-Destination"$ProfileList\Favorites\Links"-Verbose-Recurse

}

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:50 PM

Answers

• Post instructions in the IE Developers forum for instructions on how to use IEAK to manage the favorites bar.  You can just copy shortcut=s to the favorites folder of each user remotely if you know where their profiles are.

copy x:\source\* \\ws001\C$\Users\userid\Favorites -recurse

If you have used GP to redirect the favorites folders to a network location then this will be very easy.

Group Policy is the easiest way and is manageable.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_StewartModerator Friday, November 28, 2014 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:39 PM

All replies

• Did you consider deploying the shortcut using a GPO?

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:16 PM
  • I have considered it...but this isn't an option currently.
    Also, it seems that the IEAK for IE10 doesn't address this Favorites Bar within a GPO.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eaa04be6-8436-456c-a4a0-0dee5c727869/need-new-location-of-favorites-bars-for-all-users-for-windows-7?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Scripting this would be the best(and only) way for my environment.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:20 PM
  • Why isn't GPO an option? That is the most robust way. Scripting is going to be hit and miss for this kind of deployment.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Well..I don't manage our GPO environment. The dept who does, does not have a solution for the Favorites Bar...not just the Favorites folder for each user. Seems we're not alone with this issue.

It appears that GPOs and IE 10 don't talk to the Favorites Bar. The link above sheds light here and searching online for a GPO solution came up empty as others have found the same limitation.

Can you show what and where this would be achieved in GPO as far as the object details? Maybe create a test one in your GPO to confirm?

thanks

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:45 PM
  • I recommend asking in the Group Policy forum for details on how to deploy shortcuts (Internet or otherwise) using a GPO.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Well...was really hoping for a solution via powershell...as GPO isn't an option.

Any powershell ninjas out there that can help?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:11 PM
  • You can request scripts using the script request form. You can also browse the repository for pre-written scripts.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Post instructions in the IE Developers forum for instructions on how to use IEAK to manage the favorites bar.  You can just copy shortcut=s to the favorites folder of each user remotely if you know where their profiles are.

copy x:\source\* \\ws001\C$\Users\userid\Favorites -recurse

If you have used GP to redirect the favorites folders to a network location then this will be very easy.

Group Policy is the easiest way and is manageable.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_StewartModerator Friday, November 28, 2014 4:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:39 PM