none
Varying units during same task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm new to Project and followed a online course to use Project 2013. I'm experiencing some difficulties and will be posting them seperately on this forum. This way others with the same question can find this thread as well.

For a project one of the first tasks is projectmanagement. This task is lasting from start to finish, say 40 weeks. To this task I assigned one full time resource (40 hours a week). From experience I know this resource needs 100% of his time spend on this task during the first 30 weeks. The last 10 weeks, he only needs 70% of his time. Is there  a way I can put this to work in Project so that this resource has 30% of available time left during the last 10 weeks? It may be impossible to this, but the goal is to assign tasks to alle resources so that in a resource report every resource is represented.

Another problem I walked across is this project management, which is lasting the complete project, is determining the critical path all by itself.

My own thought was to devide this project management into smaller tasks assigned to several summary tasks. This way I can also use different units (100%/70%). Only problem I still see is this project management tasks determining the critical path, instead of the task that really do.

Friday, November 21, 2014 9:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can address your concern like this:

Create a 40 weeks task and assign a resource on it at 100% (by default).

Then split your screen displaying the task usage in the lower pane, format the timescale by week and enter like in Excel 3.5 days per week (which makes 70%) for the last 10 weeks. It made it for only the last 5 weeks you the screenshot is meaningful.

Which gives you the following resource graph:

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Peperbusse Monday, November 24, 2014 6:17 AM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 2:04 PM
  • For the critical path, I'd suggest to split your 40 weeks task in the different phases of your project and create a "project closure" milestone with something like a 1h lag. Moreover having a 40 weeks task is not recommanded due to potential performance issue.

Please come back to us when you'll have done some tests.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 21, 2014 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can address your concern like this:

Create a 40 weeks task and assign a resource on it at 100% (by default).

Then split your screen displaying the task usage in the lower pane, format the timescale by week and enter like in Excel 3.5 days per week (which makes 70%) for the last 10 weeks. It made it for only the last 5 weeks you the screenshot is meaningful.

Which gives you the following resource graph:

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Hi Guillauma,

I think it will help. Will have a look at it after the weekend. Thanks!

Any thought about the critical path problem?

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:48 PM
  • For the critical path, I'd suggest to split your 40 weeks task in the different phases of your project and create a "project closure" milestone with something like a 1h lag. Moreover having a 40 weeks task is not recommanded due to potential performance issue.

Please come back to us when you'll have done some tests.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 21, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Thanks a lot! With this I can proceed.
    Monday, November 24, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Is it possible that I can't format the timescal in the task usage because I'm not using the Professional edition of MS Project 2013?
    Monday, November 24, 2014 2:50 PM
  • I don't think so. This is a standard feature that is not restricted to the pro version.

If your screen is splitted, be sure to select a cell in the upper part before trying to format the timescale.

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 24, 2014 2:56 PM
  • It's so easy.... when you know! Tnx Guillaume.

Learning a lot besides the online course thanks to you.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:47 AM
  • You're more than welcome my friend!

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:59 AM