none
Issue with user receiving many email notifications (Every 15 minutes) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have an issue with a specific user that is receiving Project email notifications every 15-20 minutes receiving around 100 emails per day and there are no changes in any of his projects.

He deactivated all his notifications and reminder options but he continues receiving the set of emails.

I know the notifications and reminders work for everyone or no one and I don't want to switch off them for everyone.

In the ULS I activated the Verbose level for the Project Server -> Notifications category but there isn't any warning/error message and neither in the Project Server queue.

Has the email notification process any relationship with the Exchange synchronization? I ask that because I have the Exchange Sync job configured to run every 15-20 minutes (Because the project managers wanted to get the user tasks updates very quickly)

What else could I do or check?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:22 AM

All replies

• I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the sync, but you could
    always turn it off to see the impact.

A couple thoughts:

1) Are you sure it's the Project Server service?  Could you post the text
    of the e-mail? - It could be in SharePoint as well.
    2) If you turn off the Project Server e-mail settings, does the issue stop?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

I've not disabled the email and reminders because this is a Production environment and I don't want to disable it yet. First I wanted to ask.

The heaps of emails the user is receiving are the typical reminder about new project assignments.

Also, a weird thing is that the email reminder includes information about closed projects with completed tasks.

As you will see in the email example, in the comments field it is saying that the email's been sent for the Exchange sync process. Why?

Example of an email (with replaced values) (The email is in Spanish):

Sent: martes, 15 de mayo de 2012 9:46
    To: USER
    Subject: Los recursos han enviado actualizaciones de asignación

Los recursos han actualizado las siguientes asignaciones.

Informado a: USER

Nombre del proyecto: Project 1
      Nombre de tarea: Preparar plan de pruebas de sistema e integración
      Asignado a: USER
      Comienzo: lunes, 02 de mayo de 2011  Finalizar: martes, 31 de mayo de 2011  Trabajo: 16h  Trabajo restante: 0h  % de finalización: 100
      Comentario: El estado de la tarea se envió a través de sincronización de Exchange

Nombre del proyecto: Project 2
      Nombre de tarea: Firma del contrato
      Comienzo: martes, 01 de junio de 2010  Finalizar: miércoles, 30 de junio de 2010  Trabajo: 80h  Trabajo restante: 0h  % de finalización: 100
      Comentario: El estado de la tarea se envió a través de sincronización de Exchange

Nombre de tarea: Formación de usuarios finales
      Comienzo: viernes, 01 de abril de 2011  Finalizar: viernes, 13 de mayo de 2011  Trabajo: 95,5h  Trabajo restante: 0h  % de finalización: 100

Nombre del proyecto: Project 1
      Nombre de tarea: Desarrollo
      Comienzo: viernes, 01 de abril de 2011  Finalizar: martes, 31 de mayo de 2011  Trabajo: 400h  Trabajo restante: 0h  % de finalización: 100

Nombre de tarea: Seguimiento de incidencias
      Comienzo: lunes, 16 de mayo de 2011  Finalizar: lunes, 31 de octubre de 2011  Trabajo: 160h  Trabajo restante: 0h  % de finalización: 100

Nombre de tarea: Análisis Funcional V1.0
      Comienzo: martes, 01 de junio de 2010  Finalizar: miércoles, 30 de junio de 2010  Trabajo: 160h  Trabajo restante: 0h  % de finalización: 100

Para desactivar estas notificaciones, vaya a Project Web App, haga clic en la opción Configuración personal del menú de la izquierda, y a continuación haga clic en Administrar mis alertas y avisos.

Desde esta página, puede anular la selección de la casilla de verificación para las notificaciones que ya no desee recibir.

Project Server 2010

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:25 AM
  • The thing is, unless I am mistaken, the Outlook integration pulls tasks into
    Outlook as tasks - not as e-mails.  Or at least, that's how it works in 2010
    - and in 2007 as I recall.  Which version are you working with?

Does the user have an Outlook rule set up to send an e-mail about overdue
    tasks? 

Possible explanations:

1) Do you have any customization running that automatically publishes projects
    in your project pool?
    2) The user has options set in Personal Settings.
    3) Someone with higher authority has the options set in Personal Settings
    (i.e. you can set alerts for other people there).

I am not sure how you can figure out the last option - but I bet if you do
    a couple searches, you should see a couple queries to go into the Published
    database and determine if any alerts have been set up.

Did you inherit the server or did you set it up yourself?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

about the questions you are asking:

1- There is no customization in our PWA

2&3- The user has the default reminder settings and as far as I know, no one has changed the alerts for "his users"

About the rule to send an email about overdue tasks I don't think this is the problem, because the email comes from the PWA and not from a rule in the user's Outlook

I have checked the Published database, and the DBs: MSP_ALERT_SUBSCRIPTION, MSP_REMINDER_SUBSCRIPTION, MSP_REMINDER_TEMP_STORAGE and I've not seen anything strange

I upgraded the Project Server to 2010 by myself three weeks ago.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:13 PM
  • If the user unchecks the "default" settings, does the issue stop?  Just trying
    to isolate which setting is driving this.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

we've already tried that.

The user unchecked all the default options when he started receiving emails but the emails keept coming.

Then he contacted me and explained his issue.

He checked the default options again but the problem persists.

There has to be something with the Exchange sync (not the reminders and alerts settings) that is messed up

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Hi Josep,

Certainly you should not need the Exchange sync job running frequently to get updates - Exchange will send a message to Project Server saying there are updates, then Project Server will go looking for them.  Running the sync job more than once a day to overcome something else that migth be broken is not a good idea - as it will be putting extra load on the system.  Not sure if it will be triggering your resources e-mails - but the PM has a setting for the notifications too - not just the resource - you might want to check what is set there.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:03 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

about the Exchange jobs, as far as I know, there are two: one to collect the updates (I changed it from daily to run every 20 minutes) and the other to update the EWS url (it runs once a day [default setting]).

Before changing the first one, the updates from Exchange to Project Server were taking many time to update the project, and this is why I changed the value to increase the updates frecuency.

The problem we are talking here is about the email notifications that a specific user is receiving from two specific projects.(The user confirmed me, the emails are always equal with the same projects and tasks information) and I don't understand the relationship between the Tasks Exchange sync and the email notifications

What I am seing:

1-No changes are being done in the two projects (Both are old and 100% finished)

2-Emails are being sent randomly, every 2,3,5,10,20 minutes 

As a workaround I discovered, I've used the "Close tasks updates" in that two projects. The user reported me he is not receiving more emails.

But, what bothers me is why updates are been taken (automatically) in that two finished projects. No one was editing them!!!

Who tells me that this will not happen again!

Friday, May 18, 2012 7:53 AM
  • The point is Josep, that the first job is not needed to collect the updates, they will get sync’d successfully – you are hiding a deeper problem by running this job so frequently – it is not designed to collect the updates.

For the reminders it is possible that there was some remaining work for the resource (even just 0.01) that was triggering the notifications – so they were not quite complete.  I’d suggest opening a support incident on the Exchange issues as you should not need to run the daily job every 20 minutes – the updates should flow though in a reasonable time assuming your servers are running OK.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, May 18, 2012 1:19 PM
    Owner