Project Server: Project Centre View for Master Projects and its Sub Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I cannot seem to collate/group Master Projects and its Sub Projects in a Project Centre view. I see sub projects, but I cannot see which Master Project sub projects are associated with. Currently I can only see them in one list.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

SJ

Monday, January 24, 2011 12:42 AM

Answers

• Then, the easiest thing would be to create a view that just filters on Master Projects...use something like Project Type = 3 (I can't remember the exact number, but it's something like 1-5 with Subproject, Master Project, Proposal, Activity Plan, etc. corresponding to a number.)

Then they can drill down into a single Master Project as needed.  Perhaps suboptimal but it may get the job done.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Monday, January 24, 2011 3:08 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:00 AM

All replies

• Presumably you're using Project Server 2010?  If so, first I'd call your attention to the Show/Hide Master Projects (or Subprojects - I forget) toggle in the Ribbon.  Sounds like that's not your problem though.

I don't have Project in front of me, but my guess is that your best bet is probably to add a custom Project field called something like "Program."  Then you can group by Program and perhaps sort by Project Type to get the view you want.  Of course, that would require the PMs to populate the Program field.

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

You guessed it right. The toggle is not an issue. Grouping them together is. We do use different Programs though, but we are also in a situation where a Master Project may have sub projects from different Programs. Even if we use grouping and sorting by program and project type, the sorting sorts all 'Master Projects' then 'Projects' then 'Sub Projects' (alphabetical you see).

Our client requires to see Master Projects and its sub projects in Project centre regardless of them being part of the same Program or different Programs, but looks like there is no easy way of viewing this simple information in Project Centre view without customising a solution which I really didn't want to do.

Thanks

SJ

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Then, the easiest thing would be to create a view that just filters on Master Projects...use something like Project Type = 3 (I can't remember the exact number, but it's something like 1-5 with Subproject, Master Project, Proposal, Activity Plan, etc. corresponding to a number.)

Then they can drill down into a single Master Project as needed.  Perhaps suboptimal but it may get the job done.

• Marked as answer by SJ_PPM Monday, January 24, 2011 3:08 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Thanks Andrew.

That will have to do for now...We were expecting the information to be shown in Project Centre though so we could analyse more than one Master Project and it's sub projects. A bit annoying that the realtionship between master and sub projects are not shown in the Project Centre view.

Anyways...thanks very much for your help.

Kind regards,

SJ

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:08 AM