none
Removing Provisioned Apps from Win10 1703 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Looking for some feedback based on others experiences removing the universal (or provisioned) apps from Windows 10 1703.

I've read posts from different people, some say they remove them from their reference image pre sysprep and capture, others remove them during post sysprep imaging via a script in the Task Sequence.

Any preferences or gotcha's with using one method vs the other?

In Windows 8.1 we removed them from the reference image itself which seemed to work Ok.

Thanks

Mark

Sunday, August 27, 2017 10:27 PM

All replies

• Depends on what you are looking for as there are many possible solutions which are supported by Microsoft. I will just try to give you some general pointers based on my experiences in the field:

• remove apps during the WinPE phase using the guidance provided by Michael Niehaus as you layer down your image. This can be done either during ref image creation or (as we are seeing by numerous customers who are no longer creating reference images) during the Windows 10 OSD.
    • remove apps from the WIM file. Again, this works just fine. And also, up till 1709, it was en essential step for keeping apps from coming back during a feature upgrade (e.g. 1511 to 1607, etc). I still do it, because, while apps you removed from the base install, won't come back anymore, any new apps will be installed during a feature upgrade. In the comment section of the linked article I posted a link to the modified Niehaus' app removal script which you could use for offline servicing.

A few notes:

• As Michael Niehaus outlined, do not remove apps after OS booted up as you might run into timing issues. Additionally, as you create your list of removable apps (M. Niehaus's script does that part for you), make sure you do not remove apps that are essential for correct functionality of Windows 10. Windows Store is an excellent example, which, for some reason, is flagged as removeable.
    • Finally, there is an issue of the Contact Support app. It is not an app, it is part of features on demand. I will write a blog post on how to do this offline in MDT using a PowerShell script this week, but for the time being, you can read this.

Blog - http://www.vacuumbreather.com / http://www.wcsaga.com

Monday, August 28, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hi Mark,

As I have experienced, some of the Apps creates problem when you'll run sysprep. it's better to remove some of the Windows app before running sysprep. Otherwise you'll get an error message after running sysprep. For more details you can refer below link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2769827/sysprep-fails-after-you-remove-or-update-windows-store-apps-that-inclu

you can block store app update using GPO before connecting to internet.  

Thanks!!

• Edited by JiteshKumar Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:31 AM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:27 AM
  • As Anton mentioned, removing the apps directly from the wim has been the best option for me. It seems to be the most consistent and reliable way of doing it. It doesn't take very long either. 
    Monday, October 16, 2017 6:33 PM