Virtual machines on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded to Windows 10.  Previously, my laptop had Windows 7 Pro with a virtual machine that ran my XP stuff.  Now when I ty to launch, I get an error message that says it's "having a problem starting C:/WINDOWS/system32/VMCPropertyHandler.dll."  How can I get Windows 10 to launch the VM?
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 1:14 AM

Answers

• Right-oh. If you were using Windows 7 Pro, you were certainly using either the XP Mode, which was a specially-modified version of Windows Virtual PC platform. I think it had some easily confused name like "Microsoft Virtual PC" instead, I don't recall exactly the quirk of it. It was discontinued (hyper-v is the reigning virtualization champion right now) after 7. But either way I think you'll be good for Hyper-V, hopefully your processor supports it (it's got a hardware requirement), but most modern processors have what's needed.

I do suspect one potential hassle, you may not be able to boot up your old VM. That is you might need a fresh install of XP in hyper-v. Although I'm sure at least the hard drive of image the old machine will be mountable so I doubt you'd lose anything.

I love it on my Surface Pro 3, I have absolutely no requirement for it though, but it's neat to be able to boot up everything from 98 to 10 on this device.

Shawn Keene

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:07 AM

All replies

• What kind of virtual machine were you using on Windows 7?

If it was the "XP Mode" system, that is no longer available after Windows 7.  It was gone with Windows 8 and continues to be gone in 8.1 and 10.

If it was some other system, please let us know what it is.

Also, Windows 10 Pro does support Hyper-V, and you can run Windows XP inside it.  It's totally free, so you may have to set it up again, but at least you can still have an XP VM in your Windows 10, if you want.

Shawn Keene

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:05 PM
  • Thanks Shawn.  I'll give it a try. The virtual machine was part of Win7 Pro.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:56 AM
  • Right-oh. If you were using Windows 7 Pro, you were certainly using either the XP Mode, which was a specially-modified version of Windows Virtual PC platform. I think it had some easily confused name like "Microsoft Virtual PC" instead, I don't recall exactly the quirk of it. It was discontinued (hyper-v is the reigning virtualization champion right now) after 7. But either way I think you'll be good for Hyper-V, hopefully your processor supports it (it's got a hardware requirement), but most modern processors have what's needed.

I do suspect one potential hassle, you may not be able to boot up your old VM. That is you might need a fresh install of XP in hyper-v. Although I'm sure at least the hard drive of image the old machine will be mountable so I doubt you'd lose anything.

I love it on my Surface Pro 3, I have absolutely no requirement for it though, but it's neat to be able to boot up everything from 98 to 10 on this device.

Shawn Keene

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:07 AM