Deploying Visio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone successfully sequenced Visio 2010?

I sequenced visio 2010 the other day (followed the prescriptive 2010 guidance etc) and when i loaded it up on the client it asked me for a license key to be entered. Not sure why that is happening?

I have other office 2010 virtual applications deployed successfully.

Matt Summer
    Monday, June 6, 2011 7:57 AM

Answers

• This may or may not be related but check out this article http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visio/archive/2010/07/28/volume-activation-for-visio-2010-explained.aspx

There is some sort of known issue with Visio and KMS where it wants to be premium. You have to manually change it later with a reg hack. I think this may be what you are running into since you are not including the VISIOPREM=1 for the initial launch.

When I did Visio with KMS I included it within my Office 2010 package (even though thats not required). I think it may require your KMS cmd line to enable prem edition plus the edition you want to use in order for it to work on initial launch then again after you change the reg key in the article above. Here was my offvirt cmd string (keep in mind I did all of office).

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi 32-bit:ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core PROPLUS=1 STANDARD=1 PROJECTPRO=1 PROJECTSTD=1 VISIOPREM=1 VISIOPRO=1 VISIOSTD=1

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You have probably not followed the prescriptive guidance (even though you are saying you are).

Since you do not share what steps you actually have performed - we can't offer any real guidance. 

I would suggest that you re-read the entire guide, but obviously focus on the Configure a client computer to run Office 2010 or the corresponding steps while performing sequencing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462 

/Znack
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Thanks for the vote confidence Znack.
    Matt Summer
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately I can't offer any guidance as I have no idea whatsoever of the choices you have that the prescriptive guidance offers.

/Znack
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Are you using MAK or KMS activation? What command line did you use when installing the Office 2010 Deployment Kit fo App-V on the client end?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 9:35 AM
  • I'm using KMS activation for visio. My command line for app-v deploy kit included VISIOPRO=1

I know the KMS comes premium key for visio and followed this site: http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/12/03/volume-license-editions-of-visio-2010-install-premium-edition-by-default.aspx

Matt Summer
    Monday, June 6, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Could you please post the full command (minus your product key) that you used on the command line to instal the Kit.

What is your sequencing platform (OS, proc. architecture etc) and the client platform (OS, proc. architecture etc).

Does Visio activate successfully when installed instead of virtualized?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 1:33 PM
  • This may or may not be related but check out this article http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visio/archive/2010/07/28/volume-activation-for-visio-2010-explained.aspx

There is some sort of known issue with Visio and KMS where it wants to be premium. You have to manually change it later with a reg hack. I think this may be what you are running into since you are not including the VISIOPREM=1 for the initial launch.

When I did Visio with KMS I included it within my Office 2010 package (even though thats not required). I think it may require your KMS cmd line to enable prem edition plus the edition you want to use in order for it to work on initial launch then again after you change the reg key in the article above. Here was my offvirt cmd string (keep in mind I did all of office).

msiexec /i OffVirt.msi 32-bit:ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core PROPLUS=1 STANDARD=1 PROJECTPRO=1 PROJECTSTD=1 VISIOPREM=1 VISIOPRO=1 VISIOSTD=1

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 5:37 PM
  • My command for deployment kit is: "msiexec /i offvirt.msi VISIOPRO=1" i don't include a MAK key because i'm using KMS.

Sequencing platform is windows XP w/SP3 x86 using the 4.6 SP1 sequencer and on my clients 4.6 SP1 same OS etc.

Kilimnj99 - Thanks for the link its pretty much exactly the same link as the one i posted in previous post. If its true that you have to include VISIOPREM=1 then thats pretty poor. I've laready deployed the office deployment kit to my organistation with the possible licensing options and obviously that didn't include VISIOPREM.

Matt Summer
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:08 AM
  • I was kind of thinking it was only needed for the sequencing process on the sequencer, not all the workstations but I have put it in for all the workstations too and it works. You can try 1 at a time. One of the 2 should fix it for you.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:17 PM