none
View tasks by task summary, resource name, team name for Master schedule with sub projects RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of projects in Project Server and resources are grouped in Teams (Team Name).

I have a view that shows Team name, Resource name, Task summary (so that I can see the project name), task name and group it by Team name, Resource name and Task summary.

It works perfectly if I edit a single project in PWA. It doesn't show any tasks if I try to edit a master project with subprojects.

Is it possible in the latter case?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:10 AM

All replies

• I think you're running afoul of the fact that assignments do not appear in PWA master project views.

If you have one resource per task, you might be able to recreate this with a task view (not an assignment view).  To do that, you'd need to repurpose either the Resource Group, Phonetics or Initials field to capture the team name - as those fields occur in both the resource and task views.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:51 PM
  • I have multiple resources per task.

We are running a number of projects and have resources working in any number of them. We use the Resource Usage view in MS Project to help us to assign tasks as we can see the over or under-allocation per week.

We need to know the task, task summary and the project name so that we can see where the hours are allocated. I suppose a workaround would be to put full details into every task which seems a bit much. For example, instead of calling a task "testing" we'd call it "project name-CR number-Unit test-test". What a mouthful.

Perhaps our challenge is that we are thinking in Resource Usage mode. Is there perhaps a view that would show this without needing such a long task name?

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:25 PM