none
Remote Desktop V10 error 0x4 from Mac

Question

• Hi,

I'm running Microsoft Remote Desktop 10.2.1 (1143) Beta on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 attempting to connect to a local (LAN) Windows 10 system. 
    I can connect initially, but if I suspend the Mac and reopen it and try to connect via MRD I get the error "Your session ended because of an error. If this keeps happening, contact you network administrator for assistance. Error ode: 0x4"

If I reboot the Windows 10 box, or connect to it via another remote tool (eg TeamViewer) and then disconnect, I can reuse MRD to connect again.

It's as if its maintaining the original connection, and can't reconnect.

I've only recently started using V10, and V8 had been working fine. I re-downloaded V8 and tried to connect whilst I was getting the V10 0x4 error and in V8 the msg is "Connection reset by peer".

Anything I can check on the network/router, Mac or Windows settings? 

I also see a few other entries on here of similar issues from Mac High Sierra with no responses - has something recently changed on the Mac side that is causing issues?

Thanks.

Monday, August 6, 2018 10:41 PM

All replies

• I've been having the same error as well... :(  Even went so far as reinstalling Windows and attempting to connect from multiple Macs, all getting the same error.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:31 PM
  • This is very similar to the issue I am having:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3dc1cfb9-181b-4302-bb9a-b1ed83eae2bd/error-0x4-when-trying-to-remote-desktop-from-a-rdp-config-file-mac-rdp-beta-1021-1143?forum=winRDc

But I can't even connect on first instance.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:11 PM
  • And like you we're getting no responses.

We're told to direct technical issues to this forum, but I'm unsure if it's monitored by Microsoft or it's just a community based support forum.

There seems to be a few recent issues with Mac/RDP so we need a bit of guidance if it's a Mac issue, an RDP issue, or config on the Windows Server side.

I've even tried using the "Report an issue" option in the product - no response, nothing.

Is this the correct channel to report issues?

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:41 PM
  • Are people who are running RDP Mac 10.2.1 still having the 0x4 errors connecting to Windows 10 servers?

I finally got an update via "Report an issue" in RDP on 9th August - saying they are "looking into the issue" and will get back to me if they need more information. But nothing since. Don't know if they've replicated the issue, or it's just my config.

Very frustrating as I need to keep jumping into TeamViewer when I get the 0x4 error on RDP which seems to 'reset' the issue.  May as well just keep using TeamViewer until I see a new beta version to test.

Sunday, August 12, 2018 7:20 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue. Started Today. Was working perfectly fine before.

Hope it'll be fixed soon. Otherwise will have to switch to Linux on my server box ...

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:41 PM
  • I encourage everyone encountering this issue to use the "Report an Issue" menu option from within the RDP application.  Hopefully that flags it to Microsoft more than us just reporting on this forum.

I also use the "Report an Issue" to ask for updates as well.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 12:50 AM
  • And like you we're getting no responses.

We're told to direct technical issues to this forum, but I'm unsure if it's monitored by Microsoft or it's just a community based support forum.

There seems to be a few recent issues with Mac/RDP so we need a bit of guidance if it's a Mac issue, an RDP issue, or config on the Windows Server side.

I've even tried using the "Report an issue" option in the product - no response, nothing.

Is this the correct channel to report issues?

I've had this same experience and the vendor that hosts the application we are connecting to seemed to be completely unaware of the changeover and unable to provide support. Their message to me was "try manually programming the parameters" so I did that and I had the same error. 
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:47 PM
  • Just stating Im having the same issue. RDM 10.2.1, MacOS 10.13.6 connecting to Windows 10 1734.

Why drop support for RDM 8 which is working..

Friday, August 17, 2018 8:11 PM
  • So, think I found what the issue was, at least in my case.

If the PIN sign-in option is enabled for windows 10 and your try to log in and it asks for the pin instead of a password the remote desktop gets all confused and gives 0x4 error. 

So I tested it using the Splashtop solution to establish the session as that goes via the login screen and proms you for pin and after I logged in I can establish a normal remote session with Remote Desktop.

So either disable PIN sign-in via the policy or set the PC not to terminate session ever.

Hope it helps someone.

Sunday, August 19, 2018 2:12 PM
  • In my environment I do not have PIN sign-in option enabled.

But what I do find is - if I encounter the 0x4 error and then use another remote desktop solution (eg. TeamViewer in my case - you used Splashtop) I can connect to the remote server and it seems to 'reset' or 'clear' the error and I can log back into the remote server using RDP...at least for a bit longer until I hit the 0x4 error again.

In your environment do you find you have not encounter the 0x4 error again after removing the PIN option?

How do you set the PC to not terminate the session?  

Thanks.

Monday, August 20, 2018 12:28 AM
  • Since I disabled the policy it hasn't happen again. But I also changed my behaviour since then, so it might also be responsible:

1. As soon I am done with the current task I just command + q out of remote manager
    2. Also unticked resize to fit he window or something (as it was giving me same errors as well)
    3. Currently in a process of migrating to Ubuntu Server

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:01 AM
  • What I noticed - if you login locally to the RDP server, the error resets, and you can connect again via RDP. Also the problem exists with RDP Client v8 for Mac, so looks like it's Windows problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-version-1803-remote-desktop-problem/3c3bc004-7a93-44c8-b930-4c4d140487c0 - did anybody try this?

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:24 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  I'll look to try that out over the next couple of days and report back.

"Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them toAutomatic (Delayed Start). "

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:46 PM
  • I had no luck with starting the above 2 services.  I still got the 0x4 error.

Although the services were set for Automatic (Delayed) start, and I started both manually, I noticed "Function Discovery Provider Host" would often stop.

I'm now trying the 'completely quit MRD' process after I'm finished with it, to see if that helps.

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:09 AM
  • ...  I'm now trying the 'completely quit MRD' process after I'm finished with it, to see if that helps.

I still find even if I completely quit MRD I still get the occasionally 0x04 error.

Are others still suffering through this problem with MRD 10 ?

Monday, September 3, 2018 11:39 PM
  • I've recently upgraded to the latest beta Version 10.2.2 (1237) and so far I haven't encountered a 0x4 error yet.
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:19 PM
  • I think it's a server, not client problem. E.g. once the login starts failing, it'll fail from both my OSX MBP client and another Windows machine. Local login into the server will always clear it.

It is also fairly recent: I've been using the RDP solution for years, but this problem is 6-8 months old max.

P.S. For awhile, this workaround worked -- http://jacobackerman.blogspot.com/2010/02/terminal-server-refuses-new-connection.html .. but recently it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Monday, September 17, 2018 2:06 PM
  • 3 days running and I continue to have success using the latest RDP Beta on my Mac- RDP Version 10.2.2 (1237)

I've disconnected multiple times, connected to different networks, reconnected and been able to seamlessly reconnect back to my Windows 10 desktop via RDP.

No 0x4 errors in 3 days - I'm happy for now.

Monday, September 17, 2018 10:56 PM
  • Hi, i also encountered the same problem and could fix it by checking the Login Settings for the remote connection, could you try the following? Search for "Remote Desktop Settings" -> Advanced settings and check the "Require computers to use Network Level Authentication to connect". Then try to log out and reconnect using Mac RDP Client.

I also tried it with the latest beta, the problem was still there, only the above solution worked.
    • Edited by modze Friday, September 21, 2018 8:29 AM
    Friday, September 21, 2018 8:17 AM
  • Looks like after KB4343909 (installed on Sept, 13) all is working fine again. Could you please check?
    • Edited by Chupaka_ Friday, September 21, 2018 8:53 AM
    Friday, September 21, 2018 8:51 AM
  • Can you please check the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) of the server for the following log entries.

Applications and Services Logs
    -> Microsoft
      -> Windows
        -> RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS
           -> Operational

Look for event ID #227 with descriptions like:

'Failed OnConnected to Listener callback' in CUMRDPConnection::InitializeInstance at 606 err=[0x8007050c]
    or
    'spCoreConnection is NULL!' in CUMRDPConnection::TerminateInstance at 741 err=[0x8007139f]

If these exist it means that the server is denying connections because it has been flooded with connection requests.

Do you see these log entries?

And, one other question. When the server is in this state and returning 0x4 to the v.10 Mac client, what errors (if any) do Windows Remote Desktop Connection (MSTSC.EXE) and the v.8 Mac client return. Based on my research, in some cases, MSTSC returns "Internal Error" and the v.8 Mac client returns "Connection Reset by Peer".
    • Edited by Elton Saul Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:11 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:54 PM
  • Can you clarify what policy you're referring to? Where do I find this?

Thanks!

Friday, September 28, 2018 5:38 PM
  • These are logs in the Event Viewer.

To start the Event Viewer, hit WIN+R and then run eventvwr.msc.

You can find the logs in:

-> Microsoft
      -> Windows
           -> Operational

'Failed OnConnected to Listener callback' in CUMRDPConnection::InitializeInstance at 606 err=[0x8007050c]
    or
    'spCoreConnection is NULL!' in CUMRDPConnection::TerminateInstance at 741 err=[0x8007139f]

Monday, October 1, 2018 9:12 PM
  • These are logs in the Event Viewer.

To start the Event Viewer, hit WIN+R and then run eventvwr.msc.

You can find the logs in:

-> Microsoft
      -> Windows
           -> Operational

or

I wasn't replying to you (stupid non-threaded forum...). I was actually referring to the response from uFlock above.

But, OK, Yes, I have dozens of those errors. So... now what??

• Edited by clwill Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:46 PM
  • Well my run of no 0x4 errors using the Beta version ended.  Had 0x4 several times this week.

Upgrading to the latest Beta Version 10.2.2 (1285) to see if it makes any difference.

Friday, October 5, 2018 8:23 AM
  • I checked out the Event Viewer and also had the #227 errors - all from the RemoteFX module.

A bit of searching found some entries about issues with RemoteFX and Remote Desktop

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/627f1c9f-fa4a-47fe-9ae2-7e467d79b91d/rds-2016-remotefx-killing-connections?forum=winserverTS

My remote Windows 10 system didn't have the key that they reference:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations

So not sure if it's relevant, or if there is a way to disable RemoteFX to see if that is the issue.

Friday, October 5, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Well my run of no 0x4 errors using the Beta version ended.  Had 0x4 several times this week.

Upgrading to the latest Beta Version 10.2.2 (1285) to see if it makes any difference.

Where are you getting this beta? Would love to try _anything_ to help...

Friday, October 5, 2018 11:20 PM
  • https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/5e0c144289a51fca2d3bfa39ce7f2b06/

• Edited by kidhazy Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:52 AM
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 12:51 AM
  • Thanks. I had found that link, but it seemed a tad sketchy.
    Saturday, October 6, 2018 2:16 AM
  • I just ran the beta and it's, unbelievably, worse than the shipping version (10.2.1).

• Fixed my 0x4 error by logging into the remote machine in person.
    • Ran the beta, it worked and logged in. Tried it twice, worked OK. Maybe we have something?
    • Third try, within minutes, I got an 0x4. Out of the blue.
    • Now I have to go log in manually on the remote machine to fix it.

Clearly this beta isn't fixing anything. At least with 10.2.1 it was an "overnight" kind of thing.

It must be some kind of setting on the remote machine? Or...? Never had this with version 8. I could leave it open for weeks.

Help?

Saturday, October 6, 2018 6:15 PM
  • With MSTSC you will get "An internal error has occurred" if you try to connect. The issue is not with the Mac RD client Beta. It's likely a server-side issue where the server is refusing connections because it is in a state where it thinks that it is under attack (max outstanding connections has been exceeded). That's what the 0x8007050c (ERROR_IMPLEMENTATION_LIMIT) error means. 
    Monday, October 8, 2018 5:24 PM
  • With MSTSC you will get "An internal error has occurred" if you try to connect. The issue is not with the Mac RD client Beta. It's likely a server-side issue where the server is refusing connections because it is in a state where it thinks that it is under attack (max outstanding connections has been exceeded). That's what the 0x8007050c (ERROR_IMPLEMENTATION_LIMIT) error means. 

OK, but it doesn't explain why the server thinks it's under attack with the RD Client V10 and it _didn't_ think it was under attack with the RD Client V8. That tells me that the V10 client is doing some kind of "poking" at the server when it is idle that the V8 client did not do.

The server in my case, has not changed in any way. It's just a Win10 machine, hasn't had any substantial change (other than WinUpdates). The variable that has changed is the RD Client.

Monday, October 8, 2018 5:28 PM
  • The server in my case, has not changed in any way. It's just a Win10 machine, hasn't had any substantial change (other than WinUpdates). The variable that has changed is the RD Client.

Well, I tried to rollback to client v8, it didn't change anything: still 0x4 after some time.

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:52 AM
  • A temporary workaround for this issue is to increase the maximum outstanding connections limit. On client SKUs it is 100 by default, while on server SKUs it is 3000. The following DWORD registry key controls this value:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\MaxOutstandingConnections

• Proposed as answer by mterrace Saturday, November 10, 2018 10:20 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 4:58 PM
  • A temporary workaround for this issue is to increase the maximum outstanding connections limit. On client SKUs it is 100 by default, while on server SKUs it is 3000. The following DWORD registry key controls this value:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\MaxOutstandingConnections

Thank you for this. My client machine does not have this value. Do I add a new Key entitled "MaxOutstandingConnections" and set it to 3000?
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 5:43 PM
  • Yes. Create a new DWORD value in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" key.
    • Edited by Elton Saul Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:01 PM
  • Interestingly I just received the same advise via Microsoft via the "report an issue" channel, and suggested a value of 10,000.

I'll give it a try tonight and monitor it for a few days and report back.

• Proposed as answer by clwill Saturday, November 3, 2018 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Interestingly I just received the same advise via Microsoft via the "report an issue" channel, and suggested a value of 10,000.

I'll give it a try tonight and monitor it for a few days and report back.

Yes! This seems to have worked for me. Thank you!!
    Saturday, November 3, 2018 2:33 AM
  • It's been about a week, and it all seems to be working OK for me.  I've been able to switch between the RDP Beta and current version and no issues since making the change to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" key.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 10:00 PM
  • So I did the registry change, and when my user disconnects properly (closes the session), then all the following session/connection will work flawlessly. But if he closes the RDP window, and a few seconds later opens again (so not closing his session), we will have a warning "Session timeout in 2 minutes, please save your documents". But again, if then he closes his windows session, and reconnects, all good.

So at least for now, he is not disconnected every two minutes, but they took that habit of leaving all the apps open and would logically want to keep that. Any ideas ?

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Me too. I did the registry change (to the client machine) to change it to 10,000 and it's been rock solid for me. Works every time. Whether I remember to close the session or not, whether I connect from a different machine while still connected to another, it just works -- just like it used to. I'm using the latest release version of RDP (10.2.3) and it's working like a champ. Yeah!
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:11 PM
  • This worked for me  - Thank you!

Mark

Saturday, November 10, 2018 10:21 PM
  • Could you please give step by step instructions on how to make this change? I don't really have a clue how registries work!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:34 AM
  • Located that Error code 0x204 comes when you're trying to connect to an IP-number:00.00.00.00:3395 and so on a Mac cannot be in the same External IP-number, you need to place the Mac either with an Internal IP whilst being in the LAN or External IP whilst being outside (Mobile 4G or outside of the network).

Don't know if it helps but there you go Kidhazy.

Friday, February 8, 2019 10:43 AM
  • Located that Error code 0x204 comes when you're trying to connect to an IP-number:00.00.00.00:3395 and so on a Mac cannot be in the same External IP-number, you need to place the Mac either with an Internal IP whilst being in the LAN or External IP whilst being outside (Mobile 4G or outside of the network).

Don't know if it helps but there you go Kidhazy.

Feel free to message if it helped or not :)
    Friday, February 8, 2019 10:44 AM
  • No luck for me. I changed a few other values per other forums, but no luck. Any other ideas? I'm on the same network as the remote machine. Thanks!
    Friday, May 24, 2019 2:34 AM