Windows 7 Hidden Files and Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I am deploying Widows 7 to workstations on a small corporate network. The option "Do not show hidden files and folders" reverts to "show hidden files and folders" after the user log off then back on.  This is happening on all workstations to all users.  It's not a huge issue, but of course the desktop.ini file is showing up and people are asking questions....any ideas?

Also, this doesn't happen on following operating systems:
    win xp
    win 2000
    win 2003
    win 2008
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check the following registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Find the Hidden retry, and make sure the value data is set to 2. Generally, the value 2 represents the choice "Don't show hidden files and folders" while the value 1 represents the choice "show hidden files and folders".

Note: 1. Backup your registry before taking any modification. 
             2. After setting the value in registry, you need to restart the explorer.exe or log off and back on to take effect.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, November 9, 2009 1:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the following registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Find the Hidden retry, and make sure the value data is set to 2. Generally, the value 2 represents the choice "Don't show hidden files and folders" while the value 1 represents the choice "show hidden files and folders".

Note: 1. Backup your registry before taking any modification. 
             2. After setting the value in registry, you need to restart the explorer.exe or log off and back on to take effect.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, November 9, 2009 1:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:03 AM
  • Did you resolve this problem without having to tweak the registry? I'm having the same problem with Vista, but I don't want to have to change registry settings for every user.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:38 AM