none
RBS Creation and Maintenance RRS feed

• Question

• WE are looking at redesigning our RBS as we have tried to follow our organization hierarchy...the issue is this changes a lot and our RBS goes out of sync really quickly...the way we designed out RBS initially was using titles from our HR System, we dumped that and brought it into Project...as you can imagine there are thousands titles...

looking for suggestion on setting up a RBS that requires low maintenance and gives us enough security...

thanks!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:55 PM

Answers

• ED_MAN_G,I think almost all of us will agree that the RBS does not always have to follow the org structure to the T.

In my experience, what worked best for me is to keep it to the level of distinct teams/groups, and not go down to every single title level.

As for maintenance, you will need a third party product like FlunetPro Fluentbooks, which can make it easier for you if the table is huge. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

My first advice would be to enter codes for the RBS values instead of organization names. You can use the RBS description next to the value for the organization name. Doing this, the RBS manitenance is simpler.

A second advice would be to limit the RBS number of level to the minimum security your need. For example, if you need to configure the security along Business Units then Departments, you just need those 2 levels and not go further with a third level ("team" for example). 

In addition to this, if you do need anyway this "team" information for the resources for reporting purposes for example, I'd suggest to create a resource custom field, something like OBS (organization breakdown structure) which will allow you providing this additional level.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:16 PM
  • ED_MAN_G,I think almost all of us will agree that the RBS does not always have to follow the org structure to the T.

In my experience, what worked best for me is to keep it to the level of distinct teams/groups, and not go down to every single title level.

As for maintenance, you will need a third party product like FlunetPro Fluentbooks, which can make it easier for you if the table is huge. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:22 PM
  • Prasanna provides the correct answer. The RBS should never reflect your entire ORG chart. You should build this to your security requirements. If people change teams or organizations very frequently, then you may want to consider a custom program to sync these changes for you.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:24 PM
  • Thank you for your insight!
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Thank you for your insight!
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:47 PM
  • Hello ED_MAN_G

When working with RBS and security, don't feel like you have to keep all organized with the Out-of-box groups and RBS that PWA provides.  If you have a huge number of resources in PWA, like 500 or greater, then you may need to create manage new groups that can be division in your organization and then use categories and RBS to dynamically create the reach for the right resources and projects under the categories.

In my experience with RBS, you have to think more of outside the box with the groups and categories to make this work.  In one circumstance, the organization was just to complex to organize using the RBS and the solution was to pick the projects and manual update the categories.  It sounds like a lot of maintenance, but it was easier for everyone to understand and so it work.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:56 AM
  • Thanks Michael...can you elaborate more on this please "then use categories and RBS to dynamically create the reach for the right resources and projects under the categories."

Thanks

Ed

Thursday, July 24, 2014 4:03 PM