Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power id = 41 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Pavilion dv5 notebook with Vista Edition Familiale Premium (French edition) with 3Gb of ram. I bought it roughly 18 months ago and the pc has exhibited the same problem since I bought it . It goes into dormant mode several times a day even though I have disabled that mode, and not always when it is hot, even though it can run very hot. No keys or mouse are responsive so I have to power back up. Normally it resumes the previous task.
    I have returned it to the shop but without success and now it is past the guarantee period.
    The PC has been rebuilt once but the problem remains.
    The PC is clear of any virus (as far i can tell)
    It is on a network of 4 PCs (Vista and XP), all using the same s/w, using a mixture of wifi and ethernet.
    I am primarily running Dreamweaver 8, Photoshop CS2, Flash 8 and WAMP simultaneously.
    When I run a virus scan, often the pc crashes before the scan finishes so I have to make several attempts to complete a scan.
    Event record below, apolagise for the French (the last transition to dormant mode failed, this can occur if the pc fails to respond, crashes or undergoes a cut in power during the transition)

I am not sure if relevant but there is a spot on the screen that stays red all the time.

Nom du journal :System
    Source :       Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date :         04/03/2010 16:33:49
    ID de l'événement :41
    Catégorie de la tâche :Aucun
    Niveau :       Critique
    Mots clés :    (2)
    Utilisateur :  SYSTEM
    Ordinateur :   Aders
    Description :
    La dernière transition vers la mise en veille a échoué. Ce problème peut survenir si l’ordinateur cesse de répondre, tombe en panne ou subit une coupure d’alimentation au cours de la transition vers la mise en veille. (apolagise for the French (the last transition to dormant mode failed, this can occur if the pc fails to respond, crashes or undergoes a cut in power during the transition))
    XML de l’événement :
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-04T15:33:49.998Z" />
        <EventRecordID>712948</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Aders</Computer>