none
DPM compatibility on AWS workloads RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Simply I can put my question as below :
    Can I protect my servers in AWS account using DPM?

Question in detail:

We are planning to use system center DPM 2012 R2 (latest). But we have servers in AWS too in addition to azure. I am little confused after going through following page:

DPM protection support matrix (technet microsoft com)

The third column, 'DPM deployment type' says that the DPM deployment is only possible (for workload=servers and version=Windows Server 2012 R2) on
    1. Physical server,
    2. On-premises Hyper-V virtual machine,
    3. Azure virtual machine (when workload is running as Azure virtual machine),
    4. Windows virtual machine in VMWare (protects workloads running in Windows virtual machine in VMWare).

AWS uses Xen visualization (to my knowledge). So can't I deploy workload in AWS? or is it specifying the DPM server deployment type?

If it is DPM server deployment type, :
    We are going to deploy DPM server on Azure. In the column 'Protection and Recovery' corresponding to azure ["Azure virtual machine (when workload is running as Azure virtual machine)"], there is nothing specified.
    I am totally confused. Please help.

Thanks
    Bijohn

Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM has never been tested running on AWS or protecting workloads located on AWS so it is not officially supported.  If you want to test it and provide feedback for the user community, feel free.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM has never been tested running on AWS or protecting workloads located on AWS so it is not officially supported.  If you want to test it and provide feedback for the user community, feel free.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Hi Bijohn,

Did you ever get to this sorted? I know this is old post but I am working on a solution that requires similar requirement backing AWS hosted servers.

If you can please share your experience and any tips will be useful.

Thanks.

Regards, Jim MSCS - MCP Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:30 PM
  • If it's a virtual machine and you have VPN connectivity to it and your DPM server can reach the servers and install an agent it can backup the servers as a normal Physical server. But you can't backup the VM it self.

I have tested this and it works.

Regards
    Jan-Tore Pedersen

Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Many thanks for the reply, we have Direct Connect link between the Datacenter and AWS so we can utilise that.

Did you had confirmation from Microsoft if this is supported? What version you are using?

Thanks.

Regards, Jim MSCS - MCP Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Friday, July 28, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Did not talk with microsoft about it. As this is a normal server backup and not virtual machine backup. As far as i know there is no support for external backup of AWS virtual machines.

Your only option is to do a normal bare metal backup of the server. With backup of the disks, bare metal and so on.

This is what we did. We are not using it anymore as it was getting expensive, and we moved to azure :)

Now we use azure backup inside of azure instead :)

JT

Friday, July 28, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info, so that means in AWS you cannot do files and folder backups? Just Bare metal and Disk backups?

Glad to know you moved to Azure :)

Thanks again.

Friday, July 28, 2017 9:36 AM