WSUS updates are not installing until a week later RRS feed

• Question

• I pushed out updates last week and people are telling me that they are being notified of updates still this week.  Are there other possible reasons for this besides updates that depend on other updates and/or reboots?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 3:12 PM

All replies

• when do you have your deadline set for installation on the deployment?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 3:13 PM
  • I didn't set a deadline - where in is that set?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 3:22 PM
  • Hello Robin X,

Glad to help.

After you approving a update, you could set a deadline for it. Setting a deadline will cause clients to install the update at a specific time. You could set update deadlines to a date in the past in order to have clients install the update immediately. Refer to following link:

Client Behavior with Update Deadlines

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/security-updates/windowsupdateservices/18127631

And i think you should also check following part:

1. Group Policy
      Check your setting of clients update policy.

2. Windowsupdate.log
      Check when did your clients get the updates files.

If you need further advice, please upload the GP result by command "gpresult /h 123.htm" and windowsupdate.log.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,

Ray Jia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 1:17 AM
  • Thank you for your help.  The command gpresult /h 123.htm gives me this error:

ERROR:  Invalid pointer

The resulting file 123.htm is empty.

I checked the group policy on the WSUS server but was not sure if those policies only apply to that server's updates or the update of all the clients.

Please let me know the best way to submit the windowsupdate.log.  I do not see an option to submit a file - only code and image and the file contains too many characters to submit as text.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:07 PM
  • when you create a deployment for a software update group you set when the updates are available (days) and when the installation deadline is available (days)
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:42 PM
  • OK thanks.  We are using zenworks and not sccm so I will have to find out how it works in zen.
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 3:06 PM
  • Hello Robin, 

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, do you select "Download Update Files to this server only when updates are approved"? Clients could get update files only when they are downloaded and available. 

Regardless of "gpresult", you need check your "Configure Automatic Updates" setting in Group Policy and then check when your clients start to check for updates. 

What's more, do you have any downstream WSUS server in your environment? If yes, it would increase the time the clients get the updates.

Look forwards to your feedback.

Best regards,

Ray Jia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:58 AM